Search Unity

Question Pixelated 3D rendering too much blurry

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Lazy_Evaluation, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Lazy_Evaluation

Lazy_Evaluation

Hey guys! I'm trying to create a pixelated 3d game like A Short Hike, and I found a bunch of tutorial online that deals with this type of graphics. But I always get the same error:

The rendering is too much blurry! I want to have a sharp rendering, without the blur between - for example - the shadows and the terrain.
    I followed the example here
    and I setted up two cameras, one that renders the world in ortographic mode and outputs to a rendertexture, and another camera that gets a full screen raw image with the rendertexture attached. The render texture is set with Filter Mode: point. It works, and it pixelates the image, but not nearly as good as A Short Hike! I also looked at this post (https://forum.unity.com/threads/getting-a-pixel-look-in-3d.625321/) and his image is really nice! The pixels are not bending color and definitely not blurry.
    Thanks in advice for the help :D

Attached Files:

2. Lazy_Evaluation

Lazy_Evaluation

Solved: I disabled Anti-Aliasing in the camera that's looking at the player!

tmonestudio likes this.
  3. Radivarig

Radivarig

If you're using orthographic camera you might be interested in pixel creep reduction. I've implemented that in the UPixelator asset, it uses the technique you mentioned with a RenderTexture so does not require special shader setup but also has subpixel camera offset and object to pixel grid snapping to get rid of the flickering pixels while the camera is moving.

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

I noticed that you are zoomed-in 3x in your game view. Be aware that you are seeing individual pixels blown-up larger than they will appear in your actual game.