Search Unity

Pixel RPG!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Somedays, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Somedays

Somedays

Have you ever played cartoon wars? basically you get units and level them up while unlocking new units to fight in this epic 2d war. I wanted to make a game similar but with a pixel art style and 3 lanes to send units.

This is a very very rough concept test just to test out if units could move, stop to attack, and resume moving after defeating an enemy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNdRwTMY7NE&feature=youtube_gdata

I would like for the player to have a whole arsenal of unit classes to choose from including knights, mages, archers, bandits etc. and maybe even a shop where the player can spend coins to get new upgrades for their units. These could range anywhere from new swords for your knights to special magic attacks for your mages.

Please feel free to submit any cool ideas! Items, enemy types, bosses, how i should present different levels, unit types, weapons, etc.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  2. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Looking awesome man :)
    Can't wait to see how this turns out
    Any ideas for the GUI yet?

3. Somedays

Somedays

thanks!

i guess i'll have the same pixel art for buttons and menus, I still have to figure out how I want the player upgrading up units and buying new ones.

4. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

So how is the gameplay wired exactly?
    Does the player choose units to deploy in a selection of lanes?

What I noticed was that the top lane was doing really well defeating the trolls, but the bottom was struggling. It would be handy for the player to be able to swipe units from one lane to the next. As it is I don't see too much the player can do other than sit back and watch

5. Somedays

Somedays

Yeah the gameplay is basically choosing what units to deploy. I was having trouble with some gameplay mechanics though.

If the player spent gold to summon knights idk if one would go in every lane or if the player chooses what lane to summon him in.

I like the idea you proposed about swiping to move units to different lanes, I'll work something out. All I know is that I want a bunch of units that the player can unlock while upgrading them.