Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Pixel Perfect Camera should NOT have bilinear as a filter mode option.

Discussion in '2D' started by exzizt, Aug 3, 2019.

1. exzizt

exzizt

upload_2019-8-3_12-30-16.png

Every time I open up the editor, I have to manually go into this file and modify it to always return Point to ensure that my art actually looks like nice pixel-perfect pixel art. If I don't, it looks like blurry garbage. I don't understand why this is an option to begin with. The whole point of this package is to achieve crisp, pixel-perfect art.

Please fix this.

Thanks.

2. LiterallyJeff

LiterallyJeff

You can see from the code that the filter mode is set based on the
    m_Internal.useStretchFill
    boolean being true. Why is it true?

From the blog post about Pixel Perfect 2D:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2019/03/1...up-your-unity-project-for-retro-8-bits-games/

3. exzizt

exzizt

4. exzizt

exzizt

We really need the ability to override the use of the bilinear filter mode. I understand why you have it in place but there's no reason to not be able to override it. For my game, I do not want it.

5. Skelly1983

Skelly1983

Using stretch fill causes the render texture to be stretched to fill the desired resolution, which needs to calculate the required size of the sprites and resize them. Doing this with point filter would be inaccurate as bilinear uses an average to calculate this size.

If this is not desired disable "Stretch Fill". Could you post some screenshots of your camera view and Pixel Perfect Camera component so we can possibly advise you of your best options.

6. exzizt

exzizt

The problem is I still require the ability to use Stretch Fill and have the filter mode set to Point. Otherwise, I have to manually edit the script every time I open up the editor and before I build.

antti_partagames likes this.
  7. antti_partagames

antti_partagames

This feature would be welcomed. I can get it working by editing PixelPerfectCamera.cs myself, but obviously that's not a permanent solution.

8. exzizt

exzizt

But the issue with doing that is you have to change it every time you open Unity!

9. Zebbi

Zebbi

I can't believe this isn't permanent any more, and I can't believe it hasn't been added as a toggle. Can I just read-only the file or something?

10. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

Like we mentioned in the blogpost, if we stretch an already pixel-perfect image to an arbitrary screen size using point sampling, the pixel-perfectness will be lost, which defeats the whole purpose of the Pixel Perfect Camera.

I understand that might be tolerable for some use cases, but if you can accept a not-pixel-perfect image (meaning you might get swimming pixels if the camera moves), what is the motivation of using Pixel Perfect Camera in the first place? Are there any 'hidden' benefits you can get from using this component?

KalOBrien likes this.
  11. Zebbi

Zebbi

Well, the camera is useful for more than just absolute perfectness, it calculates everything properly and is the easiest way of making a pixel-perfectly positioned rendertexture. If it's still not being planned after all this time and numerous requests for it, I'll just fork the folder, remove it from package manager and hack the single line in myself.

NotaNaN and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  12. Zebbi

Zebbi

Oh, and also, I don't get "swimming pixels" since I work out exactly which resolution will upscale to integers on a 16:9 1920x1080 screen (really doesn't matter to me on a screen that isn't 16:9 or 1920x1080).

I think almost anybody making a pixel-art game would rather have swimming pixels and not-so-pixelness to an unbelievably bad bilinear smoothed mess. Seriously, it looks like when you don't upscale old games in Dosbox and it hits your monitor at the original non-native resolution, nobody in the world wants this.

Of course, you could try to implement the type of bilinear that first upscales to as close as possible by integers, then bilinear smooths the remainder (Sonic Mania does this, Shovel Knight, etc). This has also been mentioned before in great detail (over a year ago on the last thread) but you also don't seem to like that, so I'll just have to change that one line to make a practically useless camera tool into an excellent camera tool.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    NotaNaN and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  13. JathamTheGreat

JathamTheGreat

First off that's not an excuse to add an option, non whole number pixel sizes don't "defeat the purpose" of anything. Besides there's already the option to not use upscaled render textures which looks like a slightly scaled down then scaled up version of a normal camera.

Strectch No Upscale RT.png

Normal.png

Even if it is flimsy, it's not even a valid excuse because pixel perfectness isn't even lost, the only difference is whether or not the implied pixels are whole number multiples of the real pixels or not. When emulating older hardware it's preferable that there be no filters by default so you can have a more accurate representation of how they would display on digital displays.

You can see that even though the implied pixels aren't whole number multiples of the real pixels of my display, it doesn't interfere with the readability of what's being shown.

Upscale RT No Stretch.png

Upscale RT + Stretch (B).png

Upscale RT + Stretch (P).png

By forcing people to only use bilinear filtering when using stretch fill, your limiting the usability of your tool. It doesn't matter if you personally find it unappealing some people may find a use for it, especially when there's no other way to get that result except by using the pixel perfect camera.

It took me an hour to figure out why things were being filtered when I used the stretch fill and took me 10 minutes to fix it for myself. It's not difficult and it has a use, the least you can do is just add it

exzizt and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  14. exzizt

exzizt

I couldn't agree MORE! What was your solution?

15. JathamTheGreat

JathamTheGreat

I just copied the folder where the package was saved, changed the PixelPerfectCamera.cs of the copy to my liking, then removed the package then imported my copy

Zebbi likes this.
  16. Zebbi

Zebbi

This seems to be the accepted practice for this abandoned(?) package.

17. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

Thank you all for articulating your rationales behind this. I understand now trading absolute pixel-perfectness for an overall sharper image is oftentimes a valid use case.

Here's what I'm gonna do:

- Add an option to disable filtering when Stretch Fill is enabled. This option will be off by default.
    - If you do prefer bilinear filtering when stretching, we'll fix the excessively blurry image when Upscale Render Texture is also used by first upscaling to the closest pixel perfect resolution before stretching to fill the entire screen.

Radivarig, diesoftgames and Zebbi like this.
  18. Zebbi

Zebbi

Awesome! That second option should be very close to how Sonic Mania (and I think Sonic CD) does it, which makes for a very crisp image, but still smooths out any integer jankiness. I will still keep it totally off by default, but this would allow me to add a pixel-friendly smoothing setting for users that won't blow everything out into a billinear smear.

19. castor76

castor76

Sorry to tag along with this, but 2dlight buffer filtermode and shadow (and normal, mask) should also be able to set as point sampling and able to match the screen buffer resolution as well. Right now the light buffer is just set to be screen resolution multiplied by resolution value and all bilinear filtering. We need option to be able select filter mode and match the pixel perfectness set by the pixel perfect camea component.

20. diesoftgames

diesoftgames

I just wanted to chime in that this all sounds great, thank you! I'm especially interested in that first point, since not everyone will be on resolutions that can be targeted with perfect integer scales of the reference resolution, being able to offer those players the option of black borders, or stretched with filtering, or stretched with no filtering sounds ideal.

21. adscomics

adscomics

So I see that some progress is being made for this issue. Do any of us know when this functionality will be available for us?

22. Zebbi

Zebbi

No idea, PPC updates take an eternity.

Any ideas when the update will be available?

23. Zebbi

Zebbi

Change the PixelPerfectCamera.cs script in
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com\com.unity.2d.pixel-perfect@3.0.2\Runtime
    and it will be persistent.

adscomics likes this.
  24. adscomics

adscomics

You're the man, Zebbi ;)

Zebbi likes this.
  25. Zebbi

Zebbi

For any newcomers to this thread:

Find
    PixelPerfectCamera.cs
    in
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com\com.unity.2d.pixel-perfect@3.0.2\Runtime

Code (CSharp):
    1. activeRT.filterMode = m_Internal.useStretchFill ? FilterMode.Bilinear : FilterMode.Point;
    Change to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. activeRT.filterMode = m_Internal.useStretchFill ? FilterMode.Point : FilterMode.Point;

nekolyst, EricR971 and adscomics like this.
  26. adscomics

adscomics

Also for macOS users, you wanna go to
    /Users/[username]/Library/Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.2d.pixel-perfect@1.0.1-preview/Runtime
    to find PixelPerfectCamera.cs

Zebbi likes this.
  27. Zebbi

Zebbi

NotaNaN and EricR971 like this.
  28. yuanxing_cai

yuanxing_cai

Unity Technologies

I'll try to do it in the coming weeks.

mudloop and NotaNaN like this.
  29. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

Hai, @yuanxing_cai!

Any news on when these features might land? :D

30. Zebbi

Zebbi

NotaNaN likes this.
  31. Zebbi

Zebbi

rypl and NotaNaN like this.
  32. Zebbi

Zebbi

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
    NotaNaN likes this.
  33. adscomics

adscomics

It could be in version 4.0. I haven't used that version though because my game is in Unity 2019.

Zebbi likes this.
  34. Zebbi

Zebbi

I have no idea, I'm still using the package manager version that's STILL not updated. Still using this one weird trick:

35. Zebbi

Zebbi

Happy *bump* day.

MousePods, adscomics and NotaNaN like this.
  36. RedHillbilly

RedHillbilly

Any update on this?
    I've copied the package a long time ago exactly for this issue, but it breaks every so often because other packages work differently (universal render pipeline for instance).

Btw, a little bit simpler (you don't need the if):
    Code (CSharp):
    1. activeRT.filterMode = FilterMode.Point;
    And if anybody is looking to fix this with the urp, change this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. internal FilterMode finalBlitFilterMode
    2. {
    3.      get
    4.      {
    5.          if (!isRunning)
    6.              return FilterMode.Bilinear;
    7.          else
    8.              return m_Internal.useStretchFill ? FilterMode.Bilinear : FilterMode.Point;
    9.      }
    10. }
    to this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. internal FilterMode finalBlitFilterMode => FilterMode.Point;

Zebbi, NotaNaN and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  37. jgarbeidi

jgarbeidi

I'm confused, I got the other thing to work, but I'm also using URP. Where does this code fit into it all?

38. NobleRobot

NobleRobot

I suspect that the reason this hasn't been addressed yet may simply be that @yuanxing_cai no longer works at Unity. @Chris_Chu , can you review this simple feature request?

The code is known (more or less), and yuanxing_cai offered an ideal, non-breaking solution in this reply. Thanks!

39. sonolil

sonolil

@Chris_Chu Hellooo~~~ this thread would've been hilarious to me if I wasn't in on this wagon~~ It's kind of important? Otherwise I'm just gonna write my own ppu cam because fixing source code just ain't scalable~~

-----------

You know what on second thought, I'll just abandon the package and edit the source code and put it in my github with the rest of my collections... seems to be the way

40. NobleRobot

NobleRobot

Supposedly this fix was shipped in 2022.X. I'm on 2021 LTS so I can't confirm. Using my own hacked solution until 2022 LTS comes out.

sonolil likes this.
  41. sonolil

sonolil

Oh goodie.. yeah I'm still using 2021.3.16f1 myself. Thanks for the heads up

42. Chris_Chu

Chris_Chu

Unity Technologies

Adding @kennyy_ to the thread as he is overseeing this at the moment.

43. kennyy_

kennyy_

Unity Technologies

Hi, we have added filter options Point and Retro AA when using Stretch Fill. Unity defaults to Retro AA where we upscale to the closest multiple of the target resolution before bilinearly upscaling to maintain pixel perfectness.

We have also added the Point filter mode for users who don't want the blurriness introduced due to upscaling. Do note if you are using this filter mode, you may lose pixel perfect accuracy on target resolutions that a not a multiple of the reference resolution.

This is available in 2022.1.0f1 (or later) and URP 13.1.18 using URP Pixel Perfect Camera. This is not available in the 2D Pixel Perfect package as it is in maintenance mode and we will not be introducing new features.

MelvMay, NotaNaN and karliss_coldwild like this.
  44. NobleRobot

NobleRobot

FYI, the documentation doesn't reflect this. It only shows Filter Mode in the docs for URP 15.0+, which tricked me at first because the option only shows up conditionally when you select
    CropMode.StretchFill

45. kennyy_

kennyy_

Unity Technologies

@NobleRobot Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for pointing that out. Will backport the documentation to reflect this.

NobleRobot likes this.
  46. BluishGreenPro

BluishGreenPro

If anyone is working in Unity 2021.x, AND is using URP, go here to make the change to make the change instead;

C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2021.3.29f1\Editor\Data\Resources\PackageManager\BuiltInPackages\com.unity.render-pipelines.universal\Runtime\2D