Search Unity

Question Pixel-perfect Camera Jitter with Isometric Camera Rotation - Solutions?

Discussion in '2D' started by patrickjarnfelt, Feb 28, 2023.

1. patrickjarnfelt

patrickjarnfelt

Hi there community.

I think I might have a unique problem, but curious if anyone else is doing it this way, or have a solution to my problem.

I am making a 2D isometric game and have chosen to make it with 3D physics to simulate elevations and the physics more naturally. I have therefore made a "blocky" world with 3D colliders and rotated the camera to an isometric rotation (35,45,0)

Something like this (scene view, but also the camera’s view):
    3D iso.png

Now come the funky part. Everything has 2D sprites associated with them and every sprite is then rotated to match the camera angle and then offset according to the world height so we still have sorting dependent on elevation. That all works!
    2D rotation.png

However, I believe the internal workings of pixel perfect camera is to snap the movement to pixels. But those pixel snappings don't take into account a rotation, and because of pythagoras, we just don't get correct snapping. Each object is snapping differently and it is therefor all dancing around.

Here is the problem shown here is with just the speech bubble indicator. It actually moves in 3D and at the angle to match the camera angle. Disabling the pixel perfect camera makes the bubble go smooth, but then, of course, the other pixels are not perfect (e.g. interlacing problems):
    ezgif-3-ab9d6e56a9.gif

This is also a general problem with all the other sprites (everything you see in the scene), to where it is sea sickness inducing.

What can I do? I would love to not abandon pixel perfection, as I would be sad to have the e.g. interlacing issues.

2. Kreshi

Kreshi

Hmm I am not so much into 2D stuff, so whatever I say now may be complete BS.
    However, you could try to make the camera straight without an angle and rotate the game-world + gravity instead :D. Maybe this could resolve the problem, I don't know ^^.

3. patrickjarnfelt

patrickjarnfelt

Thanks for the suggestion. That's actually how I had it for some time but it felt quite silly to combat the standard world Y-up physics and navmesh things, than to rotate the visuals. So I rotated the visuals with this problem instead. It the rotated 3D world, the math became cumbersome (though not impossible, just could never rely on any vectors before they were manipulated to fit the rotated world) but the navmesh was unusable rotated as the nav mesh generator relies on standard Y-up to calculate angles of slopes. (uphills were essentially flat and downhills doubly steep)

4. Kreshi

Kreshi

I see. Another suggestion: render into a rendertexture and draw the texter using a rawimage with a normal UI camera and apply pixel perfect to that. Don't know if this would work as you require it but it's an idea :D

Last edited: Feb 28, 2023
  5. Kreshi

Kreshi

I am really not so much into this 2D stuff - however you could also try rotating everything - camera and the world with the camera as origin in OnPreCull and revert it back in OnRenderImage... Just another idea^^.

6. patrickjarnfelt

patrickjarnfelt

Thanks for taking the time to think about this @Kreshi !

The rendertexture idea I am afraid wouldn't work as the pixel snapping would not happen on the actual sprites and then it doesn't matter that the final camera that is looking at the render texture image has pixel snapping. At that point the damage has happened.

Rotating the visuals and the camera in a different lifecycle function is interesting. I am wondering at what step the pixel perfect camera does the pixel snapping. Probably in the update which happens before the camera lifecycle functions.

Another option that I will try out is to disable pixel snapping and make my own pixel snapping based on the euclidian angles and then make sure the orthographic size matches the pixels of the screen (one thing the pixel perfect camera does well). I suspect this could get a performance slog. But no premature optimization, am I right?!

If anyone from Unity with knowledge into the inner workings of the pixel perfect camera and would shine some light on how it works, it would be greatly appreciated. The documentation doesn't say much :/

7. Dev_Philip

Dev_Philip

I'm currently experiencing a very similar problem, using 3d meshes for collision/physics and everything else being pixel art overlays:

image.png

But I experience a ton of pixel jitter as camera rotation messes up a lot with the math of pixel snapping while calculating in a 3d space. Have you had any luck finding a solution?

8. patrickjarnfelt

patrickjarnfelt

I ended up sacrificing the pixel perfect camera. Unfortunately not where I wanted to end up, but sometimes you need to cut corners.

9. Dev_Philip

Dev_Philip

After messing around for way longer than I wanted to on this specific problem, I did end up with a solution that seems to have worked if you're interested:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/vfx/shaders/fullscreen-camera-effects/propixelizer-177877

It has one script you add to the camera, then a script you add to all your objects you need to snap and it handles the rest from there. It seems to take into account camera/object rotation as well which is where my problems were rooted.

An important thing to do when you set this up is to make sure your pivots in your sprites are set to pixel with no floating points.

patrickjarnfelt likes this.