Search Unity

Pixel Destruction - Per pixel 2d destruction with unity

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MD_Reptile, Sep 4, 2013.

1. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Sounds good, I will wait patiently to hear how the FPS and playability are at even 4096x4096 (the largest size I think unity accepts for a single texture, to exceed this I use multiple textures aligned as if they were the larger sized texture)

Anyway if you need any help with any specific aspect let me know and I'll let you know how I handled stuff! Also I am interested in hearing how things work out in UE4 - I have never tried it personally but I wonder if you couldn't slim the built filesize somewhat by not including components of unity that the framework doesn't use... good luck!

2. Deirh

Deirh

Updated my sample with a more optimized version of physics (runs right now around 3x faster in my humble setup but too early to make any promises) and support for game world sizes that are multiples of texture used (experimental only for performance tests but should be possible to try out 4K x 4K or even 8K x 8K just for the heck of it)

Now, off to sleep, unfortunately didn't have time for anything more today. Large world performance is probably abysmal since I don't try to unload the parts that cannot be seen by the player yet. The texture memory footprint is huuuge :)

3. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Sounds promising! Hope to hear back more for future testing. If you need a testing 4k x 4k level I've got a psd I could upload for you that I'm testing on.

4. Deirh

Deirh

Screenshot 2015-01-24 21.49.00.png

I'm back with an update. Redesigned the engine a bit to be more generic and support adding more kinds of objects in the future, tuned up the physics a bit as well to support bounding box collisions and most importantly, tuned up the performance on collisions and pixel movement so more debris can be active at one time ;) Who wouldn't want to do more destruction!

So basically the updates are generalization and optimizations, engine now does 4x more pixels per explosion than before and should still be hitting smooth 60fps on both PC and Nexus 5. My aim is to optimize further so even more stuff can be flying around and the engine would survive a nuclear blast .) Didn't play around with support of very large landscapes yet, that's still something in the TODO list.
    Anyway, let me know what you think about the current state, I'm open to any ideas how to optimize and further streamline the engine and welcome any discussion. In the meantime, I'll be doing similar experiments with UE4.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13160266/PixelBurst3.zip

5. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Whoa! Sounds awesome I'll mess with it tomorrow, and perhaps compare performance against mine - but sounds like it might be out performing my version if you doubled up (or more?) on active physics objects. I'll duplicate your level and physics object max in my project and see how things compare on my old galaxy exhibit (plenty slow phone to show any drops in performance easy lmao) once I remove a pile of debug stuff from my latest test build. Let me know how far you get in the unreal version - I'm interested in hearing how that turns out for sure. I'm wondering are you going to code it in c++ or do some fancy c# interpreter? I'm pretty unfamiliar with unreal but I read somewhere they had a functional way to get c# scripts going...

6. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Quick update guys, here is the latest stuff I been doing with the framework, and I think it is really starting to come together nicely!

MrGky93 likes this.
  7. MrGky93

MrGky93

awesome were i can download the source code ??

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

The latest version is no longer open source but there's another branch a few post back by another user that is still open source.

9. Gamevara

Gamevara

Hi,

I know this is old thread but I wish I could get some reply. Is this project on Asset store since all the links are not valid any longer?

Thanks.

10. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

This project is still being developed as a mobile game, and you can see more from the link in my signature below (or if your on mobile see my profile page), but I have no plans really to bring this to the asset store, but rather to release a complete game based off it. T̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶a̶c̶t̶i̶v̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶d̶e̶i̶r̶h̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶v̶e̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶c̶h̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶o̶w̶n̶ ̶b̶r̶a̶n̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶f̶l̶a̶v̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶j̶e̶c̶t̶,̶ ̶s̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶!̶

EDIT: I see now that deirh's "PixelBurst" project is no longer hosted! I'm afraid that means there are no more active links in this thread :/ sorry!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  11. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

If you want something like this from the Asset Store, please consider PixelSurface (forum thread here).

MD_Reptile likes this.
  12. Gamevara

Gamevara

Thanks, I will check it out.