Search Unity

Pixel art workflow for unity?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by inkbirdstudios, May 27, 2013.

1. inkbirdstudios

inkbirdstudios

Hey guys, I was looking into making pixel art for a unity game and would like to know does anyone have a workflow for pixel art? I tried to import pixel art and attach it to something like a plan or cube but the art turns out to be dark because of needed lights, but if im not mistaken pixel art does not need lights.

2. propapandagames

propapandagames

There's no reason pixel art couldn't use lights. It's an artistic choice. If you don't need them in your project simply use a shader that doesn't render lights... I think they're in the 'Unlit' category.

Other than that I'd recommend using one of the many 2D helper assets. I can personally recommand 2D Toolkit.

3. Maxtor

Maxtor

You can also render 2D assets in full 3D from an application of your choice. This renders specific models in specific perspective shots that can be filtered for use in 2D rather than 3D. The only difference is that any 2D asset has been rendered from a 3D application along a specific angle. I personally think rendering assets in 3D offers you the most customizable option. All 3D rendered images are 2D, and can be filtered/modified to suit a 2D game. It's all about perspective.

4. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier