Search Unity

Pixel Art Software Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pilotflyer, Jun 20, 2020.

1. pilotflyer

pilotflyer

I'm trying to build an RPG 2D style game and I was wondering what pixel art software that I can use to design the buildings and characters.

In store assets could also be included. Thoughts?

2. neginfinity

neginfinity

3. Martin_H

Martin_H

+1 fore Aseprite, and also a recommendation for pyxeledit for tilesets:
    https://pyxeledit.com/features.php

It can display and update an assembled tileset while editing tiles.

pilotflyer likes this.
  4. pilotflyer

pilotflyer

I saw that one too. This is my first game and I was thinking pixel would be good for RPG.

5. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Grab Aseprite through Steam.

pilotflyer likes this.
  6. spryx

spryx

Pro-Motion

7. Martin_H

Martin_H

Can you tell us a little about how pro-motion differs from aseprite? I've seen it on steam a couple of times and it isn't quite clear to me what its advantages are. How different are the shortcuts and workflows from Photoshop? That's one of the main friction points I have with all other 2D tools. I always keep going back to it because in the other tools I'd constantly be fighting 2 decades of muscle memory.

8. neginfinity

neginfinity

At a cursory glance...

It has tilemap editor, and costs more than aseprite.

Aseprite apparently has this feature planned for 1.3 release.

It is worth keeping in mind that Aseprite has somewhat unique features like being able to blur paletted objects.

Martin_H likes this.
  9. spryx

spryx

Fair warning, I don't use Aesprite on a regular basis. I never could get along with the interface. Pro Motion is the most Photoshop-like pixel art editor of them all (IMHO). all the general tools are there, but there are some very cool ways you can use them. In particular the dithering patterns are a very cool workflow enhancement.

Admittedly I don't spend all that much time in it (I'm a much better programmer than artist). I'd advise you to try it out if you are interested.

Martin_H likes this.
  10. pilotflyer

pilotflyer

You can create your own building right? Besides just character models

11. aer0ace

aer0ace

Another vote for ASEprite here.

12. neginfinity

neginfinity

Pixelart software creates SPRITES. Sprites can be anything you want. Buildings, characters, vehicles, whatever.

Martin_H likes this.
  13. FrankMarlon

FrankMarlon

They're all free to download or use online and can help you to create the pixel art for your sprite sheet.
    • Pixlr.
    • GrafX2.
    • GIMP.
    • PyxleOS.
    • LunaPic.
    • GraphicsGale.
    • Paint.net.
    • Make Pixel Art.

14. aer0ace

aer0ace

Aside from maybe GraphicsGale and maybe GrafX2, all of the tools on that list are not great for efficiently creating sprite assets during development. Of course, it largely depends on OP's vision for the RPG game, but generally speaking, you'll want a locally installed tool, especially one that works well with source control, that loads quickly, flows naturally while applying pixels and strokes, can easily flip through frames, preferably with onion skinning, and can export sprite sheets in a way that you want, for Unity import.

I created a 3-month pixel-based project, and I'm on the run a lot, so I wanted something that I could work with on a tablet, so I tried some sprite apps on a Samsung tablet with stylus. The idea seemed good, but managing it with any sort of source control was more disruptive to productivity than just plopping myself down in front of ASEprite for a few minutes and hammering out the artwork.

So again, ASEprite.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    Martin_H likes this.
  15. neginfinity

neginfinity

GIMP and Paint.NET are not good for pixel art, as pixelart has specific requirements. Haven't used the rest of this.

16. Batuhan13

Batuhan13

Hi mate I can recommend Aseprite =). It is pretty easy I am using aseprite nearly 3-2 years last month we joined to a gamejam with my friend who never used aseprite.He learned whole program in a few hours.It is pretty easy to learn and you have nearly everything for pixel designs =) Have a great day

aer0ace likes this.