Search Unity

Audio "Pitch Shifter" effect in audio mixer with neutral settings increases the volume considerably

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ReaktorDave, Dec 19, 2020.

1. ReaktorDave

ReaktorDave

Using the "Pitch Shifter" native audio effect in Unity's audio mixer, the volume of the processed audio will be increased by roughly 3.5dB, even when the effect settings are neutral (Pitch: 1f, FFT size: 1024, Overlap: 4, Channels: 0). Also changing "Overlap" doesn't not help with this.

This effect can be made more obvious by simply placing multiple "Pitch Shifter" effects in a row.

This is generally a bad behaviour because it means you have to readjust your mix after inserting this effect. The more later down in the project you start inserting this effect, the less tolerable this gets.

For anybody in need for a quicker fix than re-adjusting your entire mix: drag the attenuation effect of the mixer channel after the Pitch Shifter effect and decrease it by -3.5dB to compensate for the effect. Alternatively, route the channel into another channel and decrease the volume there.

EDIT: If the source code is available somewhere, this would be trivial to fix.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  2. ZO5KmUG6R

ZO5KmUG6R

So I'm not alone in this then. I've wondered why the game audio has sounded like crap since I added an audio mixer, but I never attributed it specifically to the pitch shift (used when speeding up / slowing down the game).