Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Piranha Pond - Koi Frenzy

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by frozenpepper, Nov 7, 2009.

1. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Hi great Unity community!!!!

First thing, great, great, and again great thanks to all the forum members who share their knowledge and experience's, Unity is a fantastic software also thank to you guys!!

Second :
    FrozenPepper, Ethervision and iDev2 are teaming up on many projects, and on "spare time" we made Piranha Pond just for fun and some laugh's / evil satisfaction..... (and if we could make it on spare time it's just thanks to UNITY!!!)

The basic principle behind it is very simple, we couldn't stand koi's (colored carps)... So here is Koi Pond for the rest of us :
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=l7_Y1Ssc8yM

The mechanic's are very similar to Koi Pond, except that you a have a pool with some happy piranhas in it which you can feed with multi colored koi's simply by shaking your device.
    You can also enjoy the Koi frenzy by turning your device landscape and switch to 3d view from underwater.

the only thing that didn't worked as expected was water, without render texture it has been hard to achieve a decent "ripple" effect, so now it is not beautiful but still tolerable (or at least I hope so.....)

Attached Files:

2. Jon

Jon

Looks cool! Did you get permission for the background though?

3. psychicparrot

psychicparrot

Looks great! I had a feeling that the ripple effect would be really tough. Did you end up just using some kind of canned animation for it?

You made me think of the movie Piranha 2: Winged Killers. Much go watch it to see if it got any better since the 80s ;)

Nice work!

4. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

Thanks for comments!

Jon : Permissions ??? Bubbles background is made from a photoshop tutorial i have since long time (great tutorial, got it when I re-dived into learning photoshop some time ago), iphone in background of video is a rendering.

about the water :

Great thanks to Ben Britten and his adaptation to unity of water deforming algorithm, which has a been a great start for the water in Piranha Pond.
    http://benbritten.com/blog/2009/05/19/fun-with-unity/

I have modified a little bit his code and now it works on the iphone and reacts to touch input, will contact him and ask if i can post it here. Big problem is that to obtain a decent effect the water plane has to have many polygons, limiting other object on scene (on the iPhone).

That's a great idea for an update to Piranha Pond, I remember that movie, I was really small but enjoyed it..

5. zibba

zibba

Looks great. How big did you make your ripple plane to keep the poly count reasonable, 32x32?

6. frozenpepper

frozenpepper

actually to achieve a slightly decent ripple effect i used a 64x64 plane for the water. Other object in scene where very simple so water could take so many polygons.
    As soon as I finish what I'm working on (tons of work...) I'll spend some time preparing a simple scene with Iphone working water if somebody cares for it.

7. zibba

zibba

Thanks, 64x64 worked nicely for me as well.