Search Unity

Discussion Pipeline For 2D Game ?!

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by RemDust, Aug 30, 2022.

1. RemDust

RemDust

Hello guys,
    It's been days now that I decided to rebuild my visuals.

I've been working for a long time on a 2D action-platformer, currently running Unity 2019.3.9f1.

What I need
    - Sprites LIT
    - Perspective camera (with cinemachine)
    - a way to create a 2D blur plane (like a blur shader one a plane bewteen my front sprites and background sprites.

What I DONT need
    - Complex lighting setup
    - Complex Post Processing

I was using the Built In shader at first but like many others, I've been "attracted" towards the URP, but working in 2D I ended up using the 2D Renderer Pipeline, which I deeply regret now. I'm just totally unable to find ANY asset (even commercial) to get my "Blur plane". None of them work with this renderer, I suppose no one uses it, I just don't get it.

Now, I could switch to URP which seems more used and have apparently blur solutions on the assetstore but, for the love of god, there is NO SHADERS available for sprites other than the default one. I need just a basic sprites-lit shader, I just don't understand why this is SO HARD to find.

Please, can anyone tell me what Pipeline I should use ?
    Maybe roll back to the good old Built int ?!
    Which Pipeline do 2D game dev use these days for commercial games ??

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

I've never heard of a "2D Rendering Pipeline" and can't find any docs about one. Are you talking about the 2D renderer in URP? I haven't used it but do the regular URP post-processing effects not work in the 2D renderer? I thought that post processing was supposed to be supported.

RemDust likes this.
  3. RemDust

RemDust

Sorry for this noobish typo, this is indeed the 2D Renderer in URP :)
    I'm not able to use DoF in this setup, no.

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

Does it give you an error message, do nothing, or simply render differently then you want? It's possible the 2D renderer does not use the depth-buffer the same way. If DoF is just blurring everything equally, for example, you could use camera stacking to apply the DoE only to the background while you render the foreground with a separate camera.

warthos3399 likes this.