Search Unity

Pinning C# Arrays (GCHandle vs. PinGCObjectAndGetAddress)

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by fholm, Nov 19, 2018.

1. fholm

fholm

Was fiddling with this over the weekend, but couldn't figure it out... so here goes:

So I need to pin some C# arrays and get the address of the first element (Byte[] arrays to be specific). I'm used to doing this with GCHandle.Alloc(array, GCHandleType.Pinned) but I saw that there's a method called PinGCObjectAndGetAddress in the Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.UnsafeUtility class.

1) What is the difference between doing it the regular .NET way with GCHandle and PinGCObjectAndGetAddress?

2) Can I use PinGCObjectAndGetAddress to pin arrays, and if thats the case where does the address that is returned point to? The first element?

I thought I saw a method specifically designed to pin GC arrays somewhere in the low level APIs exposed ... but couldn't find it again.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    xman7c7 likes this.
  2. fholm

fholm

Okey so I installed the latest 2018.3 beta10, and with this version it seems a method called PinGCArrayAndGetDataAddress is available in the UnityEngine.CoreModule.dll on the Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.UnsafeUtility class.

Can someone from Unity (as I assume nobody else knows how these functions really work) confirm something:

1) Is the void pointer returned from the method the pointer to the first element?
    2) The handle returned as a ulong on the second parameter, that can be passed into ReleaseGCObject ? There is no ReleaseGCArray so I assume this is where you're supposed to release a pinned array also?

3. fholm

fholm

Anyone that knows this? :)

4. capyvara

capyvara

AFAIK:

1) Yes
    2) Yes

5. fholm

fholm

From my tests I've seen this to be the correct answers to both questions, but it'd still be nice to have an official word from a Unity employee.

6. capyvara

capyvara

7. fholm

fholm