Search Unity

Pink screen batchmode builds in 2019.4.31f1

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by paulatwarp, Oct 8, 2021.

1. paulatwarp

paulatwarp

We have build machines to automate our builds. These machines run builds from the command line. Since upgrading to 2019.4.31f1, the first clean build on any machine seems to work fine, but any subsequent build shows a pink screen.

I have reported this as a bug on console builds but it also happens on Windows standalone.

There is a Windows test project here: https://github.com/paulatwarp/HelloWorldBuilds

There is a workaround if you are lucky enough to have build machines with graphics cards which is to omit the nographics command line option.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    BAIZOR and PHLCollective like this.
  2. evilock

evilock

We're experiencing this as well, thanks for the workaround tip! I see there's a fix in review for 2022.1.X, hopefully it will be backported to 2019.4 soon.

3. mwalus

mwalus

Hello. I have the same issue - when building Android and iOS projects from commandline as a result I'm getting app with "pink screen".

@paulatwarp Thank you very much for workaround - it woked for me.

I will add one comment - I have an older project build previously in U2019 LTS and now upgraded to U2020 LTS and this project works ok even with nographics commandline included.
    But for two new projects created in U2020.3 LTS version I'm getting this error.

4. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

We have the same issue

futurlab_peterh likes this.
  5. PHLCollective

PHLCollective

We are also having the same issue with our automated builds from Jenkins. However, we are on 2020.3.20, also confirmed the issue is present on 2020.3.21.

We didn't have the issue in 2020.3.16 though.

BAIZOR and futurlab_peterh like this.
  6. Dave_TGS

Dave_TGS

Looks like this should be fixed in 2020.3.22f1:
    • Shader System: Shaders are ignored when executing Build Asset Bundles method from console with -nographics argument (1369645)
    The last working version was 3.18f1, released September 9th, and was broken in 3.19f1 on September 23rd. So it's taken over six weeks for a fix for a completely broken feature that should never have made it out the door in the first place. This isn't the first time batchmode builds have been broken - in fact it seems to happen about once every year or so. It's pretty clear that its not part of any test plan for the version releases which is really disappointing.

BAIZOR, futurlab_peterh and evilock like this.
  7. Eldirfar

Eldirfar

For me 2020.3.22 still not working :<

Fix In Review for 2019.4.X, 2020.3.X
    So still no information when it will be released

futurlab_peterh likes this.
  8. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

All of our automated tests run in batchmode, but they don't use the "-nographics" flag :(.

andreyul0 likes this.
  9. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

We have just encountered this bug (with basic shaders referenced in project settings and in the scene, no asset bundles used on the project) on 2020.3.23f1. Is there any timeline on when to expect a fix?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  10. BAIZOR

BAIZOR

Confirm the issue still exists in 2020.3.23f1.
    I am going to try the latest version for this moment - 2020.3.25f1.

Also, I didn't have the issue with version 2020.3.15

UPDATE
    2020.3.25f1 doesn't have the issue!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    bac9-flcl likes this.
  11. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

That's great to hear! Although it would be good to get confirmation from Unity since I don't see any mention of anything related to the issue in release notes. The issue seemed to randomly manifest after a few builds (in one case we had about 50+ builds with no issues whatsoever and then suddenly started hitting this issue every build, with no way to recover even after clearing library) so I'd love to be sure .25 is really fixing it. For now we just had to figure out a way to use graphics mode on TeamCity, which as I heard it was a huge inconvenience (most machines we use don't even have a GPU).