Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Pink Particles?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by DrJBN, Sep 16, 2020.

1. DrJBN

DrJBN

I've been porting an old xna game I wrote into unity. So far, I've been very successful. Today I wanted to begin making some weapon effects (plasma/electrical explosions) and, so, started getting into the basic particle system component.

Particles look nothing like any of the tutorials on the youtube, even those from 2019, nor do they look anything like what is found at :
    "https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/introduction-to-particle-systems#5cf7ca71edbc2a09d0290dca"

All the particles are pink squares. Changes to any of the items that should affect color do nothing (e.g. color over lifetime). I'm using Unity Version 2019.4.0f1. Am I buggy, or missing something fundamental about how the particle system modules (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/ParticleSystemModules.html) are supposed to work?

This behavior occurs with a new project, empty scene, with the system attached to an empty gameobject.

Many thanks,

2. Olmi

Olmi

Pink/purple on some surface means that you have a material that is either missing, or it's somehow broken, or the shader does not compile. And that's why the surface renders like that.

This question has been answered many times, if you had just searched for "Unity pink/purple particles" you would have gotten many answers.

karl_jones likes this.
  3. wiz_vanmeter

wiz_vanmeter

I just updated to 2019.4 and some of my particles were displaying pink squares. For me, the problem was that Unity randomly cleared some of the Material fields in the particles. Try to remember which material was there before and reassign it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2020
    DrJBN likes this.
  4. Freudarian

Freudarian

Missed opportunity here. I searched for that query, and this is the top page hit. Sadly no real answers to be found. That's the result of focussing on the person and not the question, providing meaningful referral links or quotes that contain answers would have been helpful.

5. Olmi

Olmi

@Freudarian was it really necessary to necro this post? And how exactly did you contribute to this question with your complaints almost 1.5 years later?

richardkettlewell likes this.
  6. Shaster_ade

Shaster_ade

and how did YOU add to this question with your complaint almost 2 weeks later?

POOKSHANK likes this.
  7. Amuto95

Amuto95

Soooooo....how do I update the material of the particle then? :D Have the same problem with a brand new project. Cant find any material in the assets though, nor a fiel to assign one ... help would be apreciated :)

8. joliebillie276

joliebillie276

There have been many questions asked without receiving a response

9. michalorestes

michalorestes

If you don't want to answer someone's question you should just move on to the next post. Guess what, I've just googled Unity pink particles and google showed me a post full of your complains. Not useful at all.