Search Unity

Pink default shaders...

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Slashbot64, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

How when you use URP pipeline and import assets, where the have models are using the Default-Diffuse shader that is appearing PINK..

Even if you use the URP upgrade graphic project/selected materials.. nothing works.. these objects that have the Default-Diffuse shader stay PINK, you can't even select this material in the project assets, as it is hidden, built in whatever... on a project that was setup from the beginning with URP.

Is there some material replacement tool to just replace all prefab/model Defaul-Diffuse materials with something that actually does work in URP.

2. erikabar

erikabar

Unity Technologies

Hey @Slashbot64, you need to upgrade your materials to Universal RP in Edit > Render Pipeline > Universal Render Pipeline > then select either Upgrade Project materials to URP or just the selected ones.
    Please note that this will change the shader on your material, so if you want to go back to Default-Diffuse, you will have to change that manually (or have a backup copy)
    Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 12.06.16.png

3. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

Just a tip :
    First select and change your all material's shaders to the Standard shader
    Then use URP/HDRP material converter to convert materials to the urp or hdrp

Some legacy or custom shaders can not be converted properly using URP/HDRP converters

pixiepangolin, KappKee and erikabar like this.
  4. VirtualPierogi

VirtualPierogi

Hey, in my project all custom materials are converted but the unity default material. It stays the same no matter what i do, and I dont know where it physically resides to change it to the urp manually.

Ony and Slashbot64 like this.
  5. DROMS21

DROMS21

Same for me. I wrote a small editor script to use the scene reference to the material and convert it to a URP shader, but as soon as I open the project again it's back to "Standard".

6. Piedpiperz80

Piedpiperz80

Same, has anyone figured it out?

7. syphon1977

syphon1977

Same issue with the pink Default-Material. 2020.3.22. URP-10.7.0. Project started as URP. All materials converted to UPR with no issues.

catherineomega and Ony like this.
  8. pitchblende

pitchblende

I have this problem with Unity 2021.3 - I created a fresh URP project (URP 12.1.6), and the Default-Diffuse material shows in the "Select Material" dialog correctly, but in the Scene & Game view they are pure magenta. Most of the default materials are like this (but not all of them). Edit > Rendering > Materials > "Convert Selected Built-In Materials to URP" is always grayed out no matter what I have selected (or not selected). How do you even select multiple "Built-In" materials anyway??

9. nasos_333

nasos_333

HI all, same issue, all default assigned materials from the invisible diffuse are not converted.

Any ideas ?

10. Milionario

Milionario

Same problems, all materials converted but the default ones, like wtf unity

11. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Had to right click the material on an object that was pink, click select, it's hidden in hierarchy, then went to edit>> rendering >> Convert to URP

12. huzhanbo1996

huzhanbo1996

Thx, saved my day

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

Also is easy to change some basic shaders if are not converted automatically, simply remove the tags that mention the forward rendering or rendering directives and see if the shader compiles to URP - HDRP. Sometimes this just works, others not though, depends on shader complexity and what libs uses.