Search Unity

Ping matchmade host to check if it is live

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by RR7, Sep 3, 2017.

1. RR7

RR7

this seems obvious so please point me to the relevant documentation if it exists, I wasn't able to find it.

i am a n00b, I've got the basic lobby and multiplayer working using my own lobby derived from the example. I'm using HLAPI to keep things simple, when joining a match I want to be sure its not 'dead' in that it was started and the host has left it.

so my plan is, join the match, issue a 'ping' command to the match host, have the host issue a pong, all is well, if no pong is received, leave the match and join another.

there seems no way to do this. I've tried adding a networkbehaviour script to the lobbymanager, but it then issues an error that you cant do that.

so I created a singleton ConnectionManager networkbehavior script that has a CmdPing and TargetPong, the idea being I send CmdPing from the client and it runs TargetPong in response. but it keeps erroring saying that CmdPing was run on the server, which was the kind of the point I thought.

I read various places that you can use GetCurrentRTT and use the returned int value, but I haven't found a way to make that work either.

i'd really just appreciate some pointers here as to what i'm supposed to be doing and where the relevant documents are. i.e am I going about this entirely the wrong way?

i'm using 5.6 right now.