Search Unity

Bug Pico 3 - URP settings do not apply on app start but apply on headset's awake

Discussion in 'VR' started by Andrii, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Andrii

Andrii

So I've set up a very basic VR project with an empty scene.
    Converted project to URP and set the Render Scale to 2.

Now when I'm building the project to the Pico headset and run it, I can see that the image is very pixelated and the UI is jagged, fonts are pixelated. Especially when you move and tilt your head. It's all very ugly on the default settings.

But if I leave the app running, put the headset off, wait 30 seconds for it to sleep and then put it back on again - the image is much better. So it looks like the URP settings only apply after device awakes but do not apply at the start.

I've also added a script that logs the render texture size per eye and I can see that it becomes twice as big after awake.

Steps to reproduce are pretty easy:
    1. Create a new VR project, configure it to build on Android, all the basics.
    2. Import Pico SDK 2.1.2
    3. Convert project to URP.
    4. In the URP settings set Render Scale to 2.
    5. Build it.
    6. See how it looks on start and after awake.

I'm currently looking for a way to make it apply the settings right away.

Did you encounter something like this? I hope this has an easy fix.

Infu_edu and NakoRinn like this.
  2. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure what version of Unity you are using, but this seems like it would be a bug with URP settings at the start of any application, not just Pico. If you can reproduce this on base Android (using your phone or another Android device, like Quest 2), please file a bug report so that we can further investigate. URP settings should be valid from start, so if a normal Android application does not reproduce this issue, there is likely something in the Pico SDK that is preventing the URP settings from being established at start and instead it is reverting to default settings.

3. Infu_edu

Infu_edu

I'm experiencing this too with Unity 2020.3.44f1, URP 10.10.1 and Pico SDK 2.1.2

Was there any resolution or ticket opened for this?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  4. Infu_edu

Infu_edu

The issue is resolved with Pico SDK 2.1.3 for us, in case anyone else is having trouble with this.

DevDunk likes this.