Search Unity

Piano Save my Life (probably not the final title)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by sereda008, Mar 1, 2012.

1. sereda008

sereda008

Hello. I have begun developing this game lately, very small in comparison to my Cryengine 3 horror game currently in slow development. Anyway, the game will be available free online.

The objective is to continue to the next room (level) by figuring out the password for the door. The password is encoded into an audio player in the level which the player can listen to, where the piano notes represent the password (BbCD# etc.) The levels will be infinite, and at some level near the beginning something will begin banging on the door of the room you came from, serving as a time limit (you don't figure it out in time, you die). The password will become longer, and will become longer with time and will be randomly generated.

I basically wanted to create this game because when learning the piano I found myself at a loss of exercises when I got bored of being bound to sheet music. This is intended for anyone (including myself!) who wants to memorize the sound of each key without falling asleep from the tiring learning.

The game is currently perhaps 50% finished, and I will supply some creenshots.

Now, I have started this thread to inform you of my task, as well as ask for help. I does not appeal to me to start a dozen Yahoo Answers threads to finish the project, so, I inquire, would it be ok if I were to post my questions here? Thank you.

Things still to do :
    1. Figure out if a random object placement is possible. Update: Not with Unity Free.
    2. Texture door.
    3. Create door monster.
    4. Create zoom function for the keys.
    5. Fix 'sway' effect when at piano.
    6. Add saving-loading system.
    7. Finish Menu functionality.
    8. Finish general game script. (hints, instructions etc.)
    9. Add function which adds one Audio Array to another.

What works:
    1. Piano.
    2. Automatic password generator + most of the password system.
    3. Navigation.
    4. Certain effects (fade in to menu etc.)
    5. Have devised infinite room loop system (not yet implemented)
    6. Lightmapping! Took me days due to an error.
    7. Misc details (ability to close piano cover etc.)

www.nightmare-studios.tk/Images/u1.bmp
    www.nightmare-studios.tk/Images/u2.bmp
    www.nightmare-studios.tk/Images/u3.bmp

Ah, ok, chubbspet. I just did not feel that I should spam the forum with too many newbie questions :p

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  2. chubbspet

chubbspet

If I understand you correctly, this specific section of the forum is not for questions. Your questions should be posted under scripting or Unity support section. I think it will also be better to break them down since answering all of those will be a days job:) This is just for feedback and progress I guess.

Sounds like an interresting project though, keep us updated!

3. sereda008

sereda008

Apologies for keeping you 'outdated'.

I will release an Open Beta here, when it is ready, but for now...

Unfortunately, I can not afford the Pro version of Unity... So it seems that the graphics will be much worse than can be seen above :(

So... Here are some more screenshots. I have underestimated the size of the game, but now I believe it to be perhaps 80% done. Much scripting had been done, though I am still plagued by some problems.

www.nightmare-studios.tk/Images/U4.bmp
    www.nightmare-studios.tk/Images/U5.gif

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  4. sereda008

sereda008

New update. Numerous breakthroughs have been made by me, and the graphics were improved greatly (Unity free), though tweaking is still necessary. Mostly the changes are code-related. More than 1500 lines of code have been written, and work mostly without glitches (though I do occasionally spot some mistakes which I have made). Also just updated the To Do list above.

Anyhow, here are the latest pictures:

Edit: Worked much today on the game. Here is the result:

Last edited: May 12, 2012