Search Unity

PhysX Physics renderer with Windows GUI

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ElmarKleijn, Feb 15, 2011.

1. ElmarKleijn

ElmarKleijn

Hey there,

Time for a small update on my evergoing Unity3D challenges. I like to try to do all kinds of things that extend the Unity3D capabilities ;). This time I'm working on a Collada Physics XML Loader. It works quite well, it reads a 70MB Collada file, and in about 17 seconds it will generates 17000 bodies with a subrigidbody. Including all the custom (triangle)meshes(!). I've optimized that as far as I could. 8 seconds is spent on the mesh generation, I hope to reduce that somehow. The entire loading process happens in a second thread.
    Then, it can load stepfiles as generated by a custom C++ tool based upon the PhysX SDK. These step files contain the transformations of the updates, and this is what will make all those objects move.

The greatest achievement thus far is the ability to use the Windows GUI! It took me quite some hours to get it working -especially without any flickering-, but I can use nearly all standard .NET controls in my game, and mix it with the Unity3D GUI. I can easily create custom forms and also the so often desired Open/Save file dialog. The system even works fullscreen :D.

I might try to wrap that entire system into some kind of asset DLL, but this will not be an overnight job.

Right now I still want to try to get the 'maximize' button to work correctly. I enabled it, but Unity unfortunately refuses to resize correctly to the specified size, it's always 128pixels from the sides. Even with a free aspect ratio. And I want to try to get a real system menu going.

Some images, the form was designed in the Visual Studio designer, with a few modifications. (I only have some Z order issues at the moment)

Eventually the Unity3D app will also be a configuration tool for the PhysX C++ app.

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Very interesting. What do you plan on using this for?

3. liverolA

liverolA

how to mix winform with unity UI?? wrapper for winAPI?

4. PolyMad

PolyMad

This would allow to export complex rigid bodies systems straight from max?