Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

PHYSX: excessive cpu usage on a large rigidbody

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by laurentlavigne, Apr 15, 2016.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

A sphere with a rigidbody and a collider parented under it, the collider is scaled to 160 units and what happens then is profiler shoots through the roof at 2ms: 1ms of update rigidbody and 1ms of physics processing.

This is without any other collider but the terrain, if I leave about 200 colliders with static rb then it shoots up to 30ms.

It seems excessive and might be a bug or just old physx (788778) -- I don't think this will be fixed in 5.4 so in the meantime, does anybody have an idea how this can be lowered?

Thanks

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 11.39.00 PM.png

MrEsquire likes this.
  2. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

Hey,

I can see you haven't attached a project to the case you refer to, though QA have asked for.

With that little information, I've created a plain terrain, followed it by a Rigidbody with a sphere collider on it, scaled up to 160. Still the same performance as if the scale was 1.

Now, what's missing? Have any tree colliders on terrain? Have lots of small objects fitting inside the huge sphere? Why do you even want a rigid-body sphere of scale 160?! Why the #calls of Physics.Processing is 9? Did it crank up from 2? Why? Any graphics associated with the sphere? Hard to answer w/o a minimal project.

Anthony

alexzzzz and hippocoder like this.
  3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Try adding relief to your terrain and a script that applies forces to your Katamari.
    I sent you a project with case # 790680