Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Physics2D.Simulate is missing?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Jay-Pavlina, May 10, 2017.

1. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

I was very excited to try out Physics2D.Simulate, but it doesn't seem to be in the preview. It's baffling since it's in the 2017.1 beta docs. Does this mean we have to live without it until the 2017.2 beta?

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

It's in the 2017.1.0 beta 2 docs because it's in the 2017.1.0 beta 2; download it to try it. Not sure why you expect it to be moved to 2017.2.0.

I just downloaded and installed the experimental preview #4 and it was there for me.

Also note, the experimental releases are not about production releases and do not guarantee latest features although in this case, it's fairly up to date.

3. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

Sorry I was unclear. I know the feature is in 2017.1 beta 2, so I expected it to be in the preview because I figured preview was based on beta 4. @Johaness_Reuben said the tile mapper will be 2017.2 beta, so I meant that people that are using tile map have to wait until 2017.2 to use Physics2D.Simulate. So yes I can try the feature in 2017.1 beta, but can't use it in my game due to reliance on the tile map.
    I wish I could say the same. I have the 2017.1 beta 3 and yes it is there, but it's not in 2017.1.0x2-2D-Build. Code using it doesn't work and "Auto Simulation" doesn't show up in Physics2DSettings window. Does it work for anyone else? I'm using the mac version if that matters.

Even though I am sad I have to wait a little longer to use it, I am very, very happy you got this feature in. Thank you.

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I don't know what to say either and you do not have to wait to use it. I downloaded the preview#4 today to check (first time I've downloaded it) and it worked fine. Maybe try downloading it again, it's certainly in there.

Confused.

5. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

I tried downloading it again and it's not in the build of the mac version. I'll try the windows version and will report back.

6. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

It's not in the windows version either. Just to show that I am not crazy, here are screen shots.

beta 3.png
    In the 2017.1 beta 3, the Auto Simulation checkbox is there.

2d preview.png
    In the 2D preview, it's not there.

I don't want to keep bothering you about this @MelvMay. I'll survive without Physics2D.Simulate. It's strange that it is there for you. Can anyone else using the preview tell me if there is an Auto Simulation checkbox in your Physics2DSettings?

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  7. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

So I just tried the link that was posted in the forums and that seems to be one from two weeks ago so may be correct but those do not include the latest 2017.1.0beta.

The following link is the latest one produced but may not be intended to be the official experimental 4 release but it does include `Physics.Simulate`.

http://beta.unity3d.com/download/bb105d58a606/public_download.html

I may well be told in the morning that the link I just gave you should not be used. You have been warned. ;)

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Jay-Pavlina likes this.
  8. Jay-Pavlina

Jay-Pavlina

Yep, that was the issue. I can now use Physics2D.Simulate.
    My project runs so it's good enough for me. No more crazy workarounds for doing things after the collision callbacks! :D

9. Johaness_Reuben

Johaness_Reuben

Xelnath likes this.