Search Unity

Physics2D.Raycast ignores the front object and picks behind it randomly

Discussion in 'Physics' started by jGate99, May 29, 2019.

1. jGate99

jGate99

Hi there,

I have a 2D game with sprites and orthographic camera.

When i use following code, then in most cases object behind other objects gets picked. I say mostly because sometime it picks the front object too.

As im not really good with raycasting so hoping someone can assist me.

Thanks
    Code (CSharp):
    2. Vector3 worldPoint = CameraMain.ScreenToWorldPoint(ScreenPosition);
    3. Collider2D collider2D =  Physics2D.Raycast(worldPoint, Vector2.zero, 0  ).collider;
    4. //mostly collider2D is behind another object

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Obviously 2D physics is 2D so the Z order or rendering order has nothing to do with it. Also, if you want to check colliders overlapping a point, don't use a degenerate ray (zero direction and zero length), use Physics2D.OverlapPoint.

That said, there is the much slower pseudo-3D raycast for true 3D rays which after finding the 2D results, sorts the results based upon the Z order and the direction of the ray here. Note though that this knows nothing about sorting-groups etc and that 2D physics only knows about the XY plane.

jGate99 likes this.
  3. jGate99

jGate99

Thanks for your reply, ill try the Z order based and hopefully it works as expected.

4. jGate99

jGate99

Is there a Physics2D raycast option that returns the sprite based on higher sort order value?

5. unitj75

unitj75

I'm running into a similar issue. I was using Z values closer to the camera which appeared to work, but it may have been a fluke. If I have multiple objects that can overlap (on the different layers and different order), how can I use OnPointerClick to always pick the front object?