Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Physics2D.CircleCast radius and distance parameters

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Honkry, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Honkry

Honkry

Hi,

Just a quick question: What the devil is the difference between the effects of the radius and distance parameters in the CircleCast?

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Have you read the documentation? Physics2D.CircleCast

As it states, the radius is the radius of the circle. The distance is the distance to cast the circle over (away from the origin you specify).

3. Honkry

Honkry

Yes but when is that not the same?

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I don't follow what you mean.

The origin is the start of the circle.
    The radius is the radius of the circle.
    The direction is the normalized direction to move the circle
    The distance is how far (along the direction) to move the circle

So in other words, the cast is a circle of 'radius' moving from 'origin' to 'direction * distance'.

This is what shape casts are. You define the shape, the origin, the direction and how far to cast the shape through space.

Does that help?

Stamblew likes this.
  5. Honkry

Honkry

Oh so radius is like the size of the circle distance is like an offset?

6. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

It's not an offset no.

Casting means moving a shaping through space from one point to another catching collisions along the way. In this case it's a circle. Origin is the start point and the end-point is origin + (distances * direction).

Stamblew likes this.
  7. Honkry

Honkry

Ok. So the radius would then determine the size of the circle before it 'expands'? If so, would anything within the radius not get caught by the cast then?

8. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I think you're fundamentally misunderstanding something here. The circle doesn't expand. As I've said several times now, CircleCast finds things that intersect a circle of fixed radius that moves from one point to another. The radius does not change, the circle moves between two points you specify.

Attached Files:

Stamblew likes this.
  9. Honkry

Honkry

Oh damn! You're right. I fundamentally misunderstood the circle cast. I thought it worked like a radar blimp or like a ring in water from a water drop. Thanks for being patient. Can i use a circle cast to detect objects in a radius around an object? Or would another approach be more appropriate (like RaycastAll())?

10. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Stamblew and dongrout like this.
  11. Honkry

Honkry

Aha! See that's what I was confusing the circle cast with. Don't know why I didn't think about the 'cast' bit. Thank you for helping me out!

12. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

No problem, glad I could help.

Stamblew likes this.
  13. wsimm101

wsimm101

Seems I was fundamentally misunderstanding the circle cast also! Thanks for the help. I've spent all day bumping off walls, or not as the case may be. Is there any way to visualize the circle?

14. m3rt32

m3rt32

You can use
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  Gizmos.DrawWireSphere
    or create an editor that derrives from SceneView and use Handles API to draw circle in SceneView. Sorry for late answer but I also misunderstood circle cast and thanks for correction guys!

15. hasanali45

hasanali45

you're fundamentally misunderstanding something here. The circle doesn't expand. Visit us, we have experienced teachers who can solve your questions. Thank you :)