Search Unity

Physics update question

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Chris_DC, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Chris_DC

Chris_DC

So we have been working in 2017.1 but recently updated to 2017.3 and we are seeing many problems now that we were not seeing before. Our game has wall tiles and the player is able to squeeze out and through the walls and exit the level. We did not see these problems in 2017.1, our physics settings numbers did not change between the upgrades. Is there anything I need to look at to adjust to keep the players in the level? I have tried making the colliders large, double checked there is no gap at all and many other things. I think we will revert to 2017.1 again, but want/need to update in the future, is there more information on what happened in .2 or .3?

2. Edy

Edy

Can you verify if your project works in the version 2017.2.1f1? A significant physics update was introduced in 2017.2, and it caused many problems:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/2017-2-physics-broken.499886

Some cases resolved in a later version, other persisted. Maybe the issues are related to the specific (non-conventional?) use of the physics and transforms in each project.

3. snacktime

snacktime

I would double check that your code is doing things correctly. Not that it isn't, but I've had a couple of cases over the years where when unity updated physics it just got more strict and surfaced areas where I wasn't doing things properly. In other cases sensitivity changed, so for example where collision detection discrete once worked fine, we had to move to continuous dynamic.

Or it could just be a bug, as @Edy said 2017.3 introduced a few bugs.