Search Unity

Physics in 2020.2.5f1 behaving differently than in 2018.4.32f1

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by candritzky, Feb 20, 2021.

1. candritzky

candritzky

I'm trying to follow the "Junior Programmer" pathway using Unity 2020.2.5f1, but I'm stuck in Lesson 1.2, step 7 where the vehicle hits the obstacle (using Rigidbody components). The behavior in Unity is different from what is shown in the tutorial video. The vehicle more or less "jumps" over the obstacle and then falls off the road.

When recreating everything from scratch in Unity 2018.4.32f1, then it behaves as shown in the video.

Is there something broken with the physics of Unity 2020.2.5f1? Or is there a setting that can make it behave the same as 2018?

2. candritzky

candritzky

Found it myself: There is a new property "Default Max Depenetration Velocity" in Unity 2020 that is set to 20 by default. This needs to be increased above the (max) velocity of the vehicle to get the same behavior as in Unity 2018.

When the velocity of the vehicle is above this limit, it "penetrates" the obstacles instead of pushing them away.

3. henrypaul2001

henrypaul2001

I'm having a similar problem. But in my case, the obstacles just roll over the top of the vehicle easily without any sort of impact. I used the exact same mass values as shown in the video but the video shows the car hit the box, the box gets pushed by the car for a second or two before rolling over the top. Mine just flies over instantly. I noticed my vehicle has some sort of collider on the front of it in the shape of a wedge and the tutorial doesn't have this. I tried disabling the collider or reshaping it but it just made the vehicle fly over the boxes or didn't make a difference at all. Really confused here :/

4. wechat_os_Qy0wy97_3yRNHVSOviK_4z4cw

wechat_os_Qy0wy97_3yRNHVSOviK_4z4cw

Same problem to me. It's time for their lesson to be updated.