Search Unity

Physics for grid/block based game

Discussion in '2D' started by emmapp, Nov 19, 2013.

1. emmapp

emmapp

I have a game with blocks that stack up to form a grid. I've a prefab with a Rigidbody2d and box collider2d which I'm reusing for each block, they get skinned with a different sprite.

When some blocks at the bottom get removed, I need the above blocks to fall straight down - but they're moving ever so slightly to the left or right, and I'm getting gaps :(

How can I achieve this? I've set angular drag to 0 and enabled 'fixed angle' but I don't know what else to do!

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I wouldn't use physics for this. Use an array to represent the block positions, and move them manually.

--Eric

3. emmapp

emmapp

Ha, funny you should say that... I actually did that first (a couple weeks ago) and then since the new 2d stuff came out, I thought it'd be better to do it properly with game objects rather than just doing GUI.Box a lot!

Apparently not!

I guess I was hoping there'd be something like 'is kinematic' but in one dimension, or a way of locking the x value... Or something.

Anyway, thanks for reply!

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It is proper to do it with GameObjects, but it would still be a good idea to use an array to represent block positions, and move them manually.

--Eric

5. emmapp

emmapp

When I was doing the drawing with GUI.Box it was really easy to fit the grid to the screen size, whatever it was - I just divided the width and height number of blocks I needed in each dimension.

Not really sure how this works with game objects - having trouble getting the grid to fill the screen. Do I set the screen res or is it controlled by the camera position? What's easiest?

6. Kurius

Kurius

7. emmapp

emmapp

Wow that looks perfect! Thanks so much :)