Search Unity

Physics.Contacts GC activity

Discussion in 'Physics' started by fallFlat, Nov 23, 2015.

1. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Here's how it's presented as a simple check-box that'll be on by default. The reason this was reluctantly added as an option rather than as a hidden behaviour is because there are some devs who store away the Collision/Collision2D types so recycling them would cause issues for them but they are not the majority.

2D/3D Physics Settings

Picture or it didn't happen I guess: https://gyazo.com/0f6d884b296976529ed3cb24f34552e6

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  2. fallFlat

fallFlat

So this would simply pool the structures behind the scenes when enabled. That's elegant - one can get the benefits without a need to rewrite any code. Looking forward to it and thanks!

3. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

It actually uses (recycles) a single instance of Collision/Collision2D and just populates it for each callback, not keep a strong reference to all Collision/Collision2D sent out because those would grow without limit. This method does mean there are no bad performance/memory implications either which is the best part.

4. fallFlat

fallFlat

What about Collision.contacts? It's a non fixed length array. What happens accessing Collision.contacts? Will it trigger allocation each time accessed, once per frame, or will it be reused somehow between frames? Maybe some other, non-allocating, API will be made?

5. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

We don't have that issue for 2D but for 3D yes it's still a problem that needs to be addressed by the 3D team as we cannot simply cache it here because as you say, it's not a fixed length. Will update you when I know.

We could certainly cache a List<> which is one option in my mind.

hippocoder likes this.
  6. fallFlat

fallFlat

Without changing any of the API it's hard - it requires multiple cached arrays of different sizes - but it should not get too big: you rarely will get 10s of contact points - and games with such geometry would unlikely rely on specific contact information anyway (or at least accept the involved implications if they do).
    Without sticking to current API, caching a List<>, exposing GetContacts(List<Contact>) or even making GetContactsNonAlloc(Contact[]) are all viable solutions.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thank you so much! I would love more information please!

8. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Well it's as above, a single option that'll be on by default that causes us to reuse a single Collision/Collision2D instance for all collision callbacks. We acquire a strong lock on the instance to keep the GCs grubby-paws off it and release that when we shutdown and also when we do a domain reload too which happens when we exit play-mode but this is an editor-only concern.

It results in no GC spew but as has been pointed out, there's the "contacts" property which is an array and again, we're back to leaving that to the GC. 2D solved this using some brute force techniques but they were never going to be a long-term solution. What we've decided to do here is to produce and acquire a strong-lock on an internal "List<ContactPoint>" and like the "Collision" instance, reuse it for each callback. We can manage its memory allocation but will likely start at a reasonable size anyway. It'll also mean that you'll need to grab your contacts during the callback (no references) but this is the same as the "Collision" instance anyway as it's the same instance reused. This behaviour will also only apply when the above option is on anyway.

We'll likely change the "contacts" property to just do a "List<ContactPoint>().ToArray()" for backwards compatiblity however we can add various non-allocating "GetContacts()" methods.

NOTE: We may not use a "List<ContactPoint>" at all but rather a NativeArray but it'll be hidden anyway and of no concern. What matters is no allocations of course.

paulc0001 and JustAnotherDude like this.
  9. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

spajus and SugoiDev like this.
  10. herb_nice

herb_nice

still exhaling...

11. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

> Absolutely, this isn't some far-off research or anything crazy like that. As far as I'm concerned, they'll be in the Unity 5 release.
    That work was going to be based on the new fast callback system (that part wasn't being developed by us) that never landed so our hands were tied. This work, based upon the new bindings system internal to Unity, untied them. ;)

Unlike then, this work is actually done and running locally here. Hell, I've even got the docs done. Just got to write a bunch of tests and let QA have at it then onward to the release stream.

In no small part is this work related to our conversation earlier sir. Bumped its priority!

12. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

That's excellent news, been waiting for this for years! :D

But to speed things up further, I'm thinking there are so many use cases for OnCollisionEnter/Stay that never need the contacts at all. Some just need relativeVelocity or impulse, so maybe there could be a "lite" version of the Collision class without the contact array?

So just like we can have OnCollisionEnter without the Collision parameter, could we have another OnCollisionEnter with that contactless Collision parameter? Would that save us from the performance cost of filling in the contacts in the first place?

13. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately that isn't an overload of the callback, it's just Unity playing nice and throwing away the "Collision" or "Collision2D" instance.

The only realistic way to stop contacts being produced would be to have a global option that controls not populating contacts which isn't nice. Adding extra overloads of OnCollisionEnter,Stay & Exit isn't really a good option and would confuse a lot of devs. The next step is creating a completely new callback that doesn't suffer from these problems but we've solve that now so is kind of pointless.

A better way would be a callback that simply indicates a contact for either collision or trigger and you retrieve what you like. This is another body of work however.

In the end, the actual overhead of copying contacts though is very low, especially now because we do not create a new contacts array each callback and no special marshalling needs to take place.

Good news is that I've finished the work and I have a pull-request in process for review. It's has passed physics review and is waiting on QA test/review as well as doc review then it's onward to 2019.1

Partel-Lang likes this.
  14. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

The internal pull-request has just been approved after a full QA test so it is now beyond the event horizon and is falling inwards towards the 2019.1 singularity. Expecting it to land early next week.

I have no idea if the release managers would approve this as a backport although it's more than possible to do that. I'll investigate this for 2018.3. I doubt it'd be allowed in the beta this late in the game but maybe in a patch release later.

SugoiDev likes this.
  15. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Having this on 2018.3 would be very nice! Thanks for the hard work.

MelvMay likes this.
  16. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

This just landed in 2019.1 this morning. I've got a meeting with the release managers on Monday to do a risk analysis of landing this in late 2018.3 beta. I'll let you know what is decided.

Cynicat, spajus, AlleywayNick and 2 others like this.
  17. AlleywayNick

AlleywayNick

@MelvMay Wow, didn't see this since I was reading a different thread, but thanks for your hard work, this is great and can't wait to have it in 2019 and hopefully 2018.3 beta as well :D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  18. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

We have provisional approvement to backport this to 2018.3 beta. The PR is done and it's going through review and will have some extra QA shortly. Note that for this to land in 2018.3 beta we had to make a sensible consession which was to have the option off by default. We also don't have time to update all the templates (those would turn the option on in new projects) although this will be done for 2019.1. To turn this option on however will be a simple check-box.

19. SugoiDev

SugoiDev

Oh man, that's some great news there. Can't wait to have a go at it. Awesome work!

20. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

The backport for this no-gc work has just landed in 2018.3.0b11

21. exzizt

exzizt

When can I get 2018.3.0b11? The hub just has 2018.3.0b9 at the moment.

22. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

It hasn't been released yet.

23. exzizt

exzizt

Any idea when?

24. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Looking at the schedule, 2018.3.0b10 has been published but not made public yet but I believe that should be in the next few days. 2018.3.0b11 is scheduled for publish on 16th Nov so a few days after that I guess.

We're also almost on top of the release candidate so the next release after b11 might be b12 or an RC, not sure.

25. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

You can try this feature right now but it's in 2019.1.0a8 which you can also download here but obviously it's an alpha so not necessarily in a great state, certainly not for production.

26. exzizt

exzizt

Awesome! I'm excited to check it out soon.

I downloaded 2019.1.0a8 and it's apparently been "upgrading" my project (made in 2018.2) for the past 20 minutes. I think something is broken? :(

Any idea?

27. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

No way I could know what is going on, sorry. You'll need to discuss any alpha issues in the 2019.1 alpha forum.

28. Sabrino

Sabrino

Just wanted to add a thank you for this option, it was really necessary and it's a good solution.

MelvMay likes this.
  29. exzizt

exzizt

Are we still getting 2018.3.0b11 on November 16th? Can't wait to try this out!

30. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately I don't know exact dates when the releases will land as all I can see are the publish dates on an internal schedule page i.e. the date the build is built. It then has to pass QA verification etc. I certainly would expect it in November.

exzizt likes this.
  31. KospY

KospY

Great news!
    This whole thing was killing my GC on my project.

While we are talking about OnCollisionXXX methods, does it possible to add a way to retrieve the source collider from OnCollisionExit? OnCollisionExit do not send any contacts so I can't use collision.contacts[0].thisCollider.

Thanks!!

32. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Because it has a behavioural change that some users would not want i.e. reusing the Collision/Collision2D instance for each callback. This would break existing projects that keep the instance beyond the callback and we do not want to break existing behaviour by just using a new version. New projects will have it on by default and it's a simple matter to turn it on yourself for existing ones.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  33. herb_nice

herb_nice

because we are suckers for punishment over here, we gave 2018.3.0b12 a quick spin. we did NOT test this build thoroughly... however, after checking the recycling box in physics 2d settings, it appears that collisions are no longer spewing garbage all over the place. this looks promising.

also, it looks like RenderPipelineManager.CleanupRenderPipeline() is no longer spewing 80 bytes of garbage every frame. this is also good.

however, a new thing is spewing 17 bytes of garbage every frame. ScriptableRuntimeReflectionSystemWrapper is the new disappointment. The dreams of a garbage free build are closer but still so far away...

upload_2018-11-30_13-12-43.png

34. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I spotted this whilst getting my build gc alloc free and reported it to the appropriate team. A bug case was reported already so hopefully they'll sort it out. Apparently it's due to some function returning bool which causes boxing in some wrapper ... blah blah blah. Anyway, bug reported, hopefully sorted soon.
    Such a dark view of the future! Fear not!

spajus and herb_nice like this.
  35. MostHated

MostHated

36. herb_nice

herb_nice

gave 2018.3.0f2 a spin. editor locks up every other time that you press play, and that 17 bytes of scriptableruntimewhatever still leaks every frame.

HOWEVER... https://docs.unity3d.com/2018.3/Documentation/ScriptReference/Scripting.GarbageCollector.GCMode.html <- this appears to work.

so now we disable the garbage collector after everything is instanced, and re-enable it and manually call gc.collect on boss deaths, player deaths, screen transitions- anywhere that it is ok to drop a frame. and then disable it again immediately. seemed good on initial tests, more in-depth test is building now.

37. herb_nice

herb_nice

tests went well, game ran very smooth.

due to potential out-of-memory paranoia we added a gc.collect call if gc.collect has not been called for 32768 frames, roughly 9 minutes at 60hz, as by then more than half a meg of garbage will have piled up from that scriptableruntimewhatever.

MostHated and MelvMay like this.
  38. kersk

kersk

@MelvMay Is there any news on that team fixing ScriptableRuntimeReflectionSystemWrapper.cs? This is still occurring in 2018.3.4f1 and it's the only thing allocating per frame in my project. Please hound them to fix it! :)

39. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I pinged the person who's got this on their TODO again but I'm not the only one doing the same. Hopefully it'll land soon.

40. Barkers-Crest

Barkers-Crest

@MelvMay Is there a link to the bug report for ScriptableRuntimeReflectionSystemWrapper.cs?

41. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

42. herb_nice

herb_nice

^ the ScriptableRuntimeWhatever 17 bytes of garbage spew appears to finally be corrected in 2018.3.8f1

MostHated and Barkers-Crest like this.
  43. NikoBay

NikoBay

It seems this solution is to prevent GC generated from Collision/Collision2D, right?
    Then what do you think of this solution:
    Using Physics2D.OverlapCircleNonAlloc and create a fixed array to get all the results. This will create GC first time only.

How is this way compared to the one introduced here? Or they are basically the same GC wise?
    Would love to hear your opinions on this.

Regards.

44. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

In 2D physics, the suffix "All" and "NonAlloc" are tentatively deprecated. All queries are done using the main name only and each has several overloads accepting results in different forms such as a reusable array or List<T>. These replace
    those older queries. All queries have this and the List<T> will only allocate when the list needs to be increased in size so reusing it for multiple queries means no GC waste.

In your case, you use Physics2D.OverlapCircle.

I'm not sure I follow the comparison of a spatial query to a class that contains reported contacts though.

The collision reporting now doesn't produce GC waste for the Collision(2D) types and doesn't produce waste for the contacts property unless you access it but even that has an alternative of Collision2D.GetContact(s) which as I said above can also accept an array or List<T>.

Maybe that answers your question.

Last edited: May 6, 2020
    NikoBay likes this.
  45. NikoBay

NikoBay

I did a few tests hours ago and just did a few tests now on what you'd shared. I think I've just learnt and improved a bit here.
    Thanks so much for your sharing. Have a nice day.

MelvMay likes this.
  46. anthonov

anthonov

hey there,
    In Unity 2021 I'm getting lot of gc.allocs in Physics.Contact and I'm not sure why. What should I look for ?
    Capture gc.PNG

47. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

FixedUpdate is being called 38 times because it's trying to catch-up to game time. That's not physics, that's something taking too long to run. You need to find what that is.

Do you get GC.Alloc in the player? The Editor has overheads that the player doesn't.

48. anthonov

anthonov

Its a physics game with a lot of OnCollisionEnter/Stay/Exit everywhere, and the physics needs to run at 200 physics update per seconde. The game run smooth but the GC is triggered every 10 sec and freeze the game.
    What do you mean by GC.Alloc in the player vs editor ? There are several way to profil ?

49. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

As i said, the Editor has overhead that the Player doesn't which includes allocations that the player doesn't.

You can attach a profiler to running build. That's how you profile on the device.

You don't show what you're doing so it's clearly impossible to say what is causing this however guessing, if you're calling Collision.contacts then that'll be why. Maybe you've got the following option turned off: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Physics-reuseCollisionCallbacks.html

Being as you're necroing this thread, I can only presume you read the thread and nothing above relates to what you're doing?

50. anthonov

anthonov

That because I don't know what to show first.
    I missed to check reusable collision callback, but after that I still have GC.Alloc at Physics.Contacts.
    I searched for ".contacts" with no result.
    I have zero ".GetContacts()", but I have several ".GetContact()"
    Could ".GetContact()" trigger GC.Alloc even with reusable collision callback checked on ?
    Capture gc 2.PNG