Search Unity

physics ApplyImpulse in editor vs release

Discussion in 'Physics for ECS' started by Marijn_Kiwi, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Marijn_Kiwi

Marijn_Kiwi

I have a projectile on which i apply an impulse
    Code (CSharp):
    2. struct ApplyImpulseJob : IJobForEachWithEntity<ApplyImpulse, PhysicsVelocity, PhysicsMass>
    3. {
    4.   public EntityCommandBuffer.Concurrent Cmd;
    5.   public void Execute(Entity entity, int idx, [ReadOnly] ref ApplyImpulse impulse, ref PhysicsVelocity velocity [ReadOnly] ref PhysicsMass mass)
    6.  {
    7.     velocity.ApplyLinearImpulse(mass, impulse.Impulse);
    8.     Cmd.RemoveComponent<ApplyImpulse>(idx, entity);
    9.   }
    10. }
    In the editor the amount for the impulse seems fine, but when i build & run, the projectiles seems to be traveling alot faster. I had the same problem with my movement-system, which i ended up changing to manual update from FixedUpdate() inspired by this thread

However, this does not help with my impulse-system. How can i get the impulse-amount to match results in both editor as release?

2. tertle

tertle

I suspect your issue relates to physics at the moment is frame dependent (as it's not currently running in fixed update where it should be.)

velocity = 10 will net different results at different fps

3. Marijn_Kiwi

Marijn_Kiwi

I'm aware of that, but how can i move an 'ApplyImpule' to a PhysicsVelocity to a fixedupdate? I would expect that the physicssystem would do that for me? Or is that a limitation of the physicssystem at the moment?

4. eizenhorn

eizenhorn

It was in fixed update, but was moved to update loop cause of bug, after fixing that, SimulationSystemGroup (where physics works) will be moved in to fixed update player loop, until that - yes it’s limitation

5. Marijn_Kiwi

Marijn_Kiwi

Allright, thanks for the help! Guess I'll stop putting time in that for now :)