Search Unity

Physics 2D Extensions

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by lilymontoute, Nov 12, 2013.

1. tinnz

tinnz

Great job !

2. halfbot

halfbot

Any estimate on the source version be available?

3. Jesse_Pixelsmith

Jesse_Pixelsmith

4. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Thanks for the feedback! The fluid dynamics would work with a waterwheel - floating would work as well, but would produce better effects with the already-included buoyancy simulation.

Thanks!

Hopefully by next month. I can't guarantee that because we're pretty busy here and growing at the moment to handle our different projects.

Yep! We use the same constraint math for rope joints as Box2D (and Cut the Rope, likely), so performance should be very similar.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  5. Vospri

Vospri

Purchased, very interested in an eta on: Explosion forces, Breakable bodies, Fully destructible 2D terrain

Keep up the good work. Have a few windows phone 8 devices around, so will let you know if it break anything!

6. FamerJoe

FamerJoe

Considering they haven't updated since they released the first version almost 3 months ago, I wouldn't hold your breathe.

7. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Explosion forces will absolutely be in the next update. Breakable bodies may take a bit of time (they're already in our b2d-based 2D physics engine but I'm looking at the best way to convert them to Unity's 2D physics), and terrain still needs to go through some design steps - the physical terrain has been ready for a while, but terrain also includes a visual component - I'd like to be able to display something more than just a simple mesh.

Hey FarmerJoe,

Rest assured, updates are still going on here! They've been taking a bit longer than usual due to us needing to update pretty much all of our projects for 4.3 (I'm the only programmer here at the moment). I'm currently working on this project though, in parallel with Fluvio.

8. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa

Would it be possible to release things more often but in bitesized chunks, ie: a new release for each feature effectively.

I'd also like to ask, the breakable objects, will it be/is it possible to make a rope 'snap' at all?

I've been trying to think of the best way of having it work but I can't simply remove one of the connections, as that just makes the rope stretch and freak out.

9. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Yea, this is what is going to end up happening. Going to get out a few more quicker releases with fixes and minor features.

Hm, can you record this with some video capture software (Jing works well for this) and make a new issue here? The breakable joint implementation actually just removes the component.

---

A bit of insight on the long cycle between releases recently:

We're currently working on delivering a few projects for a client through the end of this month while a bit understaffed. I'm working on fixing that issue and getting a few more developers to deliver quicker updates across our products. Physics 2D Extensions is on the top of the list for updates though, so you guys shouldn't have to wait much longer.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  10. Dan_Tsukasa

Dan_Tsukasa

Ah thats good news then.

I don't need to make a video really as its easy to reproduce, have a 2D Physics rope, so long as its got a few joints, (use the ones from the example map) and then just delete the 3rd to last joint, or 2nd to last, the last joint doesn't know what to do and just stretches and slowly falls, it doesn't break off like an actual rope (and split into 2 dynamic rope sections).

---
    Can't wait, since my game is a physics based platformer, its pretty darn reliant on this stuff.

11. Toad

Toad

Is there any update on progress with these features, and their estimated release dates?

12. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Yep, I can finally share some information about this.

Fluvio will have 2D simulation included in its next update - I decided to separate it out from this package entirely. No ETA on that, but expect an announcement for that in April.

Coming in an April content update (by the end of the month).

Coming with an April bugfix update (at the beginning of the month).

Will also be available by the end of April with the content update.

Delaying this until after Unity 4.5 releases.

This one is on hold for now - there are some fundamental things that need to be done for an implementation (rendering and editor tools). This may end up better as a separate package since the scope of destructible terrain is larger.

Not for April, but soon after (and definitely after 4.5 releases).

Hope this helps! I'm finally going to have more resources to get things done with P2D Extensions (the timing of the package release was tough due to other obligations).

13. davidsirmons

davidsirmons

How about a conversion of the existing programming/scripting pipeline to instead a visually focused pipeline? Just a thought.

14. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Bug fix release should be out this weekend (and I snuck a few features in as well). Here's the changelog:

• [Added] Support for future Unity versions
    • [Added] Auto Configure Connected Anchor, to easily configure anchors
    • [Added] Break Force and Break Torque to all extended joints, with an OnJointBreak message sent to game objects.
    • [Added] (4.3) Collide Connected Layers toggle - note that 4.3 only allows collision filtering by layer
    • [Added] (post-4.3) Collide Connected toggle - works the same as native joints
    • [Added] (4.3) Introduced the ability to change center of mass and rotational inertia through the API - just cast a Rigidbody2D to the Rigidbody2DExt class. This only affects these values for the purposes of calculating joints and buoyancy, not for the internal engine!
    • [Added] (4.3) Introduced methods for easily adding impulse forces to bodies (Rigidbody2DExt class)
    • [Changed] Renamed some classes in order to not conflict with future joint implementations in Unity - when opening a scene for the first time after updating, it will auto-upgrade all components
    • [Changed] Renamed the main namespace from ThinksquirrelSoftware to Thinksquirrel to reflect our other products - this will require some very minor code edits if you are using the API
    • [Fixed] Resolved issues with anchors not being consistent. All anchored joints have an anchor and connectedAnchor property, within the local space of the respective objects. Fixed anchors now behave similarly to Unity's native joints
    • [Fixed] Rope joints are no longer elastic
    • [Fixed] Weld joints now have configurable anchors, and more sensible defaults
    • [Fixed] (4.3) Center of mass now defaults at 0,0 (this is how 4.3 calculates center of mass by default)
    • [Fixed] Performance tweaks, should get a small performance boost in most cases
    • [Fixed] All inspectors now look more "native"

The anchor changes in particular should make it much easier to configure joints.

I'll be doing another release later this month that should have pulleys and gizmos for all joints. I'll also be adding extended versions of all of Unity's native joints - this will add joint break events for every joint type.

Do you have any suggestions about this? Do you mean things like tools to help create physics joints/controllers/etc, or something else?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  15. davidsirmons

davidsirmons

Brother, if you could do this, I'd put you on my Christmas card list big time. To my knowledge, there is no 2d game creation app that exports to various platforms and also has a visually based approach for getting gameplay basics working. I've been spoiled by the gui systems for such things in Unreal engines for so many years, I never realized what I had until lately. Anyway, about your question...
    What I've written below is an excerpt from a post on another game board.

A couple of game companies (Psyonix and RealmWare) hired me with this very task (guiding development of tools design) as part of my job. I know certain interactions of greater/extended complexity will have to be handled in script. That's a given. Still, standard gameplay aspects shouldn't require one to dig around the forums in search for a script. In my experience, almost every game since the Atari 2600 days had the following standard abilities (some or all) for the player avatar:

gravity (vector accelerate)
    collision
    move
    jump
    crouch
    triggerEvent (includes input via location/collision/secondary input)
    spawnObject
    destroyObject (not destroying something visually, rather a behind-the-scenes object destruct)
    fireWeapon
    pickUp/carry
    damage
    health
    targetObject
    HUD (gui system of its own for HUD graphics, placement and connection with game events)

As an example of my intention, setting acceleration along a vector should never require a game developer to hunt around for a script. If gravity is needed in a particular game, then a construct of 'gravity' (accelerate/vector) would already be an inherent part of an engine's abilities, and developers using that engine should only have to add that ability via dialog box/number value to a player or not. From there, if specific additional functions surrounding the effect of gravity are wanted, scripting can be considered. The above standard abilities are common in totality to almost every game out there, regarding interactive function, and should simply require a dialog box/tick field for each (maybe a 'select other object' field) to get nearly anything done that's wanted.

None of this includes rendering functions, level object placement or audio access of course: all of that will be deeper API coding, from what I experienced looking over the shoulder of Dave Hagewood, Tim Sweeney, Steven Polge, Laurent Delayen and Per Vorgensen when I worked at Epic. I've worked directly beside programmers my entire professional career and had extensive discussions with each of these guys about the approaches used and why. None of the interactivity above is new. It is standard from the times of the beginning of digital games and it's stunning that game engines today for the most part don't have these as some kind of drag/drop module with a changeable parameters, all of which could be extended via script if needed.

But a few people got it right, and they drive around in Lamborghinis. :D Just a suggestion to everyone...make GUIS for these standard gameplay aspects and your engine will shoot past all the others which only cater to programming. Don't get me wrong: I have nothing against programming or programmers. Indeed, I'd give anything to be able to pay a team of super experienced and capable programmers to create a game engine under the guidelines above, because almost all the questions I see on this forum, and GameMaker forums are about these common things.

16. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Version 1.1 is now live!

http://u3d.as/5Sc

Also, the price is staying at $25 for now - I think that it's a good price point for a tool like this.

I agree, getting UX right is really important for tools in order for them to be truly successful. Did you have anything more specific in mind though, in relation to this package? Are you suggesting a 2D character controller? That's a bit out of scope, since I'd like to keep the focus on physics objects. There are some nice 2D character controllers on the store though, that should handle all of those things without writing any code. Those will also work well in addition to P2D Extensions.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  17. davidsirmons

davidsirmons

Physics exclusively, then. I gotcha. Hmm.....well, back when I was working on UT2K4, my boss was tinkering with a physics demo that had a cow which could have various forces applied to it, and it would...well....be ripped apart dynamically. It was kinda gruesome, but the effect had lots of potential. Further, destructible objects for environments seems to be making inroads with some more advanced engines. Not sure if this is your purview, or the deeper core programmers for Unity.

18. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

19. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

1.2 has just been released - go check it out!

Unfortunately, explosion forces didn't make it into the update, but there are a *ton* of new joints, including pulleys!

20. Toad

Toad

Cool, looks good. Thanks for the update!

21. sefou

sefou

Hi Thinksquirrel,

what do you think about support PLaymaker ?

Thanks

22. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

We've considered it - I've created custom actions for some of our other assets. What sort of PlayMaker actions would you be interested in?

23. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Unity 4.5 has been released! If you're using Physics 2D Extensions in an existing project and upgrade to 4.5, you'll want to re-import the package in order to get new, 4.5-only features.

24. JAMiller

JAMiller

Hello, I just tried upgrading to 4.5, and things seemed OK in the editor, however when I run on an Android phone it's extremely slow (5 FPS!)... I figured out it's the rope joints from Physics 2D Extensions. I had 4 ropes in my scene, one is the tail of my character. I replaced the P2D distance joints with regular distance joints and back to 60fps. However, now my ropes look kind of lame and unnatural, and more prone to stretch. The ones in in Physics2D Extensions behaved much nicer. I'm hoping you can identify what the slow down might be, as I would like to switch back to them!

25. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hm, does this happen in the example? Also, did you make sure to re-import P2D Extensions after upgrading your project? Finally, can you check the logcat (adb logcat) and see if you're getting any messages from Unity/P2D?

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  26. hjeldin

hjeldin

Hey man, i just bought your plugin, thanks!
    Is it possible to add rotation on gravity attracted objects? It seems to apply only directional velocities.

Thanks

SOLVED:

transform.rotation = Quaternion.LookRotation(rigidbody2D.velocity,transform.TransformDirection(Vector3.up));

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  27. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

For Unite 2014 only:

Physics 2D Extensions is on sale at 60% off!

This sale will end Friday evening, so pick it up now!

28. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

Hi
    the last version and info in the op post says Unity 4.x but I recall unity 5 had changed their physics some what, I am new in physics, so can anyone confirm if this is still working properly in Unity 5.2.x or does it need an update?

29. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Hi Jiraiyah,

We do support Unity 5. We have an update planned for this package which will remove the compatibility warning as well.

30. Jiraiyah

Jiraiyah

cool, thanks for reply