Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Feedback Physically Based Sky

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by SebLazyWizard, Oct 23, 2019.

1. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

You images seem overexposed, is it also visible with more normal exposure ?
    The LUTs are kept quite lowres otherwise it would take even more vram than it already does, but from our testing it was not too noticeable with regular settings

2. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

The changes shouldn't have affected the ambient probe
    When changing it to static, it's gonna use the settings from the environement tab of the lighting window, so if it's not set to have the pbr sky from your scene, the lighting will not match but it's expected
    However than screenshot is very weird i didn't manage to repro, do you have more details on your setup ? (or maybe you can report a bug if you think something is going wrong)

3. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

indeed seems to be a similar issue, if you could share the project in a bug report i can investigate the issue

4. sqallpl

sqallpl

Looks like I found something while toggling various options when trying to reproduce the issue.

'Dynamic Render Pass Culling' is enabled in the Global Settings. Most of the time, the problem starts to appear when I enable 'Volumetric Fog' in the 'Fog' component. Then I need to disable the 'Dynamic Render Pass Culling' in the Global Settings to resolve it. Then I can re-enable 'Dynamic Render Pass Culling' again.

Looks like the problem is not visible at all and can't be triggered when 'Dynamic Render Pass Culling' is turned off.

BTW. 'Dynamic Render Pass Culling' toggle needs to be pressed twice before it's changed. Same for other toggles and drop-downs. It happens only for the first 'click' afer entering the inspector for Global Settings. Looks like it only happens if it's opened in the inspector and won't happen while accessing it in the project settings.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  5. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

thanks i managed to repro :)

sqallpl likes this.
  6. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

It looks fine with "daylight" exposure, but as soon as you set it to 5 or below the banding becomes very noticable;

exposure: 12
    exp12.JPG

exposure: 4
    exp4.JPG

So its still not possible to achieve visually good looking day to night transitions.

In Hillaire's implementation per-pixel transmittances and non linear mapping (page 14/15) has been used to combat visual banding, maybe it's worth to take another look into it;
    https://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2020-shading-course/hillaire/s2020_pbs_hillaire_slides.pdf

7. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

I could be wrong but i don't think the issue is banding here, i'd say it's because there is not enough slices in the LUT.
    The use case we support is what you do in the first screenshot, the second one is clearly overexposed and solving these artefacts is not worth the performance cost. Is it really something you want to do or are you testing extreme settings just for testing ?

8. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

It would be the best case scenario if it would work for low light scenarios (transition to a realistic night sky) out of the box, but I can artificially reduce the sunlight when it gets below the horizon to hide these artifacts. This is what I do with the earlier implementation anyway.

Here comes just another issue I've came across;
    There's no option to define the earthshine color on moons, it now assumes that the earth has a pure white albedo.
    So an option to define it's color would be nice.

Can we also have normal map support for moons?

9. Wolfos

Wolfos

I feel a little silly asking this but how do I actually activate the night sky? I just upgraded to 2023.2.0 (to my surprise nothing broke), and I can't see any options regarding this. If I remove my space texture it still goes completely black once the sun goes under.

I can't find any documentation about it either.

10. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

indeed we forgot about earthshine color. I don't think using the ground albedo for that is the right solution, so maybe we could add another setting.
    Same for normal maps, i can write that down as an improvement to consider

11. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

We don't have a pbr sky sample scene yet sorry about that, but night sky isn't really something you enable
    It's basically just making a custom sky shadergraph that you reference here, in which you can do procedural stars for example without relying on an ultra hd cubemap
    And second is in the celestial body section of the directional lights, there are new options to make moons or other stuff in the sky
    upload_2023-11-21_20-26-4.png

Wolfos likes this.
  12. iamarugin

iamarugin

Atmospheric scattering in 2023.3 looks strange:
    With:
    upload_2024-1-10_14-59-18.png

Without:
    upload_2024-1-10_15-0-5.png

It gets yellowish tint no matter what the sun angle is. It should be actually bluish (like it is prompted in the atmospheric scattering hint).
    The tint changes when you change camera relative angle, which is wrong

13. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

I noticed the same, it's very obvious on distant clouds. It seems to work fine to a certain distance and then start to break for some reason.
    schattering.jpg

14. iamarugin

iamarugin

I've opened the case: IN-65715 but I have very low expectations, if it even gets noticed.

15. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Indeed the atmospheric scattering LUT only goes up to a fixed distance (128000m for now, it's defined in PhysicallyBasedSkyEvaluation.hlsl)
    There is an issue when the distance is farther than that that i am gonna fix (it's missing a clamp), but even with that it's still not gonna be the perfect result
    The main solution i see would be to have a dynamic max distance based on the height of the camera for example, but then you start to have banding issues when interpolating over slices of the LUT

This is the clamp fix i mentionned if you wanna try in the meantime. I expect it should solve the issues you have but tell me if it doesn't, then i can look into something more advanced maybe.

float entryPoint = max(IntersectSphere(_AtmosphericRadius, cosChi, tFrag).x, 0);
    tFrag = min(tFrag, entryPoint + ATMOSPHERIC_SCATTERING_MAX_DISTANCE);

upload_2024-1-12_18-21-15.png

This gives this now:
    upload_2024-1-12_18-24-25.png

while before:
    upload_2024-1-12_18-26-8.png

16. iamarugin

iamarugin

It looks much better, but that orange glow is still noticable. I will try to migrate my space game to this Unity version and then provide more feedback and comparision screenshots of this and old atmospheric scattering (it was turned off before but could be easily enabled back).
    Also maybe it worth making ATMOSPHERIC_SCATTERING_MAX_DISTANCE as a function of planet radius, because larger planets would have longer line of sight trough the atmosphere?

17. iamarugin

iamarugin

So I've updated my project to Unity 2023.2b2 and applied the fix you've suggested. Looks like it just removes atmospheric scattering after sertain distance entirely.

Here is two screenshots from 30km and 60km above the ground:

sample_shot.png

sample_shot2.png

Meanwhile the old atmospheric scattering that was commented out for some reason in Unity 2022.2.15 and prior, works flawlessly.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

18. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Ok it doesn't work either. I tried a bunch of things and it's not possible to get rid of all the artifacts even with more complex LUT mappings
    The old scattering was commented in earlier versions because it's quite expensive, and has a static costs on transparents (which may be bad for VFX)
    Next week i'll look into adding an option in the ShaderConfig package to force using the more expensive old scattering (maybe for opaque only, and probably disabled by default), it's probably the easiest option solution

19. Onigiri

Onigiri

How UE handles this? I remember seeing perfect screenshots of earth from outer space when they've implemented their physical sky.

20. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

not sure, maybe they switch to raymarching after a certain height. That would also make sense and allow to keep cloud shadows, but not sure how expensive that would be, i can try it

SebLazyWizard and TerraUnity like this.
  21. Onigiri

Onigiri

22. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Sebastian Lague manage to implement that sky in his game, he explain it here

23. iamarugin

iamarugin

Also I didn't feel that old scattering was very expensive for PC, I've never fall bellow 60 fps with full scale planet, ocean and atmosphere (+scattering) rendering even on GeForce 970.

It would be great to have old scattering on transparents too (even just commented out), otherwise any water surface will not receive scattering and it would look not great.

24. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

So i added to the existing shader option called PrecomputedAtmosphericScattering in the HDRP config package, so that when it's disabled the atmospheric scattering uses the old luts, which are more expensive but have correct result when camera is in space (when camera is on the ground, there's no difference)
    For info the added cost on PS4 is around 0.5ms on the defered lighting pass, 1ms for the fog pass, then additional cost per pixel for transparents which have 'receive fog' enabled

This has not landed yet, but the configuration will go through the config package which can be configured as explained here
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...-a-project-using-the-hdrp-config-package.html

25. iamarugin

iamarugin

I will try it out as soon as it will land! Thanks!

26. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

There is an issue with the lighting of objects.
    It seems that the atmospheric lighting evaluation is completely dependent on the camera's position instead of the object's position, which ofc results in totally incorrect lighting.
    lighting1.JPG lighting2.JPG
    This worked just fine in the earlier implementation.

27. iamarugin

iamarugin

28. SebLazyWizard

SebLazyWizard

Oh, yes I see... I just thought it was to fix the incorrect coloring of the atmosphere viewed from space, but it fixes the lighting too.

29. adrien-de-tocqueville

adrien-de-tocqueville

Unity Technologies

Yes the change wasn't necessary related but we choose to put them under the same option as usually if you want one, you want the other, so it reduces the amount of settings

SebLazyWizard likes this.