Search Unity

physically based sky and Depth of FIELD - exit volume performance bug

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by zeropointblack, Jan 13, 2021.

1. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

using latest 2020 public release of unity and hdrp. (was the same with 2019 and 731.)

when i exit a volume housing a physically based sky, the framerate drops DRAMATICALLY. for a second, (and stays a slide show during the volume blending phase (if enabled) if not completely exited.)

i tried every setting and using the default project settings sky override and having sky overrides on and off in different ways. nothing helps. only NOT using a physically based sky fixes the problem. but this cant be right.

SEEKING DEVELOPER ATTENTION. what would cause such a thing to lerp or lag a coroutine over more than 1 frame when exiting a physically based sky volume (without volume blending, but regardless)? seems impossible to someone without the knowledge of whats going on under the hood. that being me.

2. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

THIS JUST IN:

also happens with depth of field. i lose about 100 frames when transitioning from a volume WITH depth of field to one WITHOUT depth of field. sad. CURRENT WORKAROUND: keep depth of field on ALL volumes including default HDRP volume if possible. will check and report back in to myself roger that.

so is this just a major screw up, or a bug or sumthin. or is HDRP post broken? i know i cant be the only person on earth who has tried using HDRP post before. how about it.

EDIT: temp solution mentioned above WORKS.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  3. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, managed to repro the thing about the PBR Sky performance drop when entering a volume.
    Unfortunately, it's expected as the PBR Sky needs to precompute a bunch of things for a few frames before caching it. It doesn't last long but it's enough to be noticeable. This override is just not made to be able to constantly switch between skies.

As for the Depth Of Field, can you by any chance give the settings you are using ?
    On my side, I can see a performance difference with the high presets but it's just because DoF can get costly and so the FPS difference is totally expected in that case and do not just happen when entering/exiting a volume.

4. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

PBR Sky is understood. thank you.

i have noticed HUGE performance issues using higher depth of field quality settings (especially upping screen game resolution). but it sure looks good. also understood.

EPIC BUG CONFIRMED:

there is NO frame drop when using the medium preset to enter/exit a depth of field volume.
    HOWEVER, any other sample setting on the far blur causes a DROP from 100 frames to 20 frames during transition periods. even when using a LOWER sample amount.

funny thing is, the bug persists even when the samples are brought BACK to 7 manually, the default medium preset, unless medium is directly selected from the drop down list.

HAVE ADDITIONALLY CONFIRMED:

that this happens with ANY setting changed from either 3 quality presets.
    ADDITIONALLY: pretty good performance even with the high quality setting. about exactly the same as medium and low (during blendring phase only!?, half framerate in volume for high). as long as nothing is changed. this is strange indeed. not sure if i noticed this on 2019 and 731, but for sure now.

appears to only be an issue with the blending phase. there is no drop in performance when using a custom setting with NO blend.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  5. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Thanks for taking the time to give more information.
    However, still not being able to reproduce the issue in a simple repro project on my side.
    Do you mind either submitting an issue with your project or just sharing your project (or a simple version of it) here for me to be able to repro, log it so that we can do something about it !

valarnur likes this.
  6. zeropointblack

zeropointblack

whats the best way to share a simplified version? im too afraid of ruining my project.

7. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

Don't do it on your project, just copy paste it in another location and strip it down of its useless/large assets to have the simplest repro of the issue.
    Then you can either report a bug using "Help > Report a bug" or just share it here and I'll take care of the report !

Thanks