Search Unity

Physically Based Character, an active ragdoll.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kavorka, Nov 16, 2022.

1. Kavorka

Kavorka

Last edited: Nov 17, 2022
    TheMessyCoder and blueivy like this.
  2. khos

khos

Hi there, could I ask, how does this compare or differ from the Puppetmaster asset, if at all? Many thanks

3. Kavorka

Kavorka

I don't know. I have not used Puppet master. I actively avoid looking at what other people are doing. I believe I am the only commercial asset with the "Soft and accurate" technology. Which makes the ragdoll malleable and reacting to hits while maintaining its ability to follow animations without looking like a piece of jelly. It also enables pushing the character around with the physics engine, even while he is standing up and following animations, out of the box. That is the main differentiating thing compared to other ragdolls. That is the thing that is hard to copy and for developers to implement themselves. That algorithm is industrial strength because it works without state changes. That is why I am proud of this asset and why I charge money for it. I give the ragdoll I made before I "invented" this tech away for free, that's how much of a "big deal" I think it is.

Another unique feature is the "Suspend ragdoll" that allows you to seamlessly go from an ordinary character to an active ragdoll automatically. It also has advanced foot IK and tech to easily integrate with Navmesh and IK without breaking the physics.

The other features are things I would have expected game devs to be able implement themselves. There are a few nifty things that are fun, smart, difficult, useful, but I don't care much about those features and think of them as starting points for devs to do their own thing.

This is unique, I have sold 30+ at full price in early access, none have complained. But I made them promise that they could take care of themselves before I allowed them to purchase. If you understand the difference then this asset is worth it.

Maybe have a look at this long video interview about this asset:

Link to the asset in the store.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2022
    khos and TheMessyCoder like this.
  4. khos

khos

Ok, thanks for the info, will take a look :)

5. aggaton

aggaton

@Kavorka I bought your asset and tried to spin up the demo scene. Unfortunately it does not work right out of the box it seems. I did manage to copy the InputManager file into the ProjectSettings and rename it, which was not entirely obvious, a Readme would have been nice to have, however I am still getting an error which is not entirely obvious how to fix:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UnityEditor.PropertyEditor.DrawEditors (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors) (at <42a64fd733d9417da1ea3a757ad9a96d>:0)
    UnityEditor.PropertyEditor.RebuildContentsContainers () (at <42a64fd733d9417da1ea3a757ad9a96d>:0)
    UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.RedrawFromNative () (at <42a64fd733d9417da1ea3a757ad9a96d>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    Sentry.Unity.Integrations.UnityLogHandlerIntegration:LogException(Exception, Object) (at /sentry-unity/src/Sentry.Unity/Integrations/UnityLogHandlerIntegration.cs:47)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

6. Kavorka

Kavorka

It will work without the InputManager, just some buttons, like sprint, will not work.

At first import there are some errors, they do not persist, they do not affect any functionality. When this project was first built it always launched absolutely pristine, no warnings or errors. These warnings have come about because Unity have changed things. Since they are unimportant and since I know the project was originally pristine, I have ignored those warnings.

7. aggaton

aggaton

These are not warnings, but errors preventing the scene from running.

8. Kavorka

Kavorka

I am sorry to hear you have a bad experience. Try importing into a fresh project and just press play without changing anything. Press "Got it" in the pop up.