Search Unity

Physic Prevent rigidbody sliding

Discussion in '2D' started by Pob_Fr, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Pob_Fr

Pob_Fr

Hi,

I'm searching a way to prevent my rigidbody slide down slopes (and bumping too). I have already increased friction but my rigidbody can't go up after (it's the player).

I have do some research and find nothing viable. Only "tricks".

Here's what it looks like. I have tried with a circlecollider too but the problem stays.

(There is only the gravity applied to the rigidbody at this time)

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files:

2. tedthebug

tedthebug

So you want it to move down the slope only when you are moving the cube? You could try reducing the mass of the cube & the gravity, the movement may need rebalancing. And those changes will affect any jumping you may have in the game

3. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera

What you are trying to achieve is a mix between realistic and unrealistic physics behavior while using a non-kinematic rigidbody... so, yes, you are going to have to use tricks.

Here are a few that might or might not work for you depending on your other requirements:

- Make the rigidbody kinematic while there is no input.
    - Limit the rigidbody velocity while there is no input.
    - Force the rigidbody velocity to zero on x while there is no input.
    - Force the rigidbody velocity to zero on x while there is no input and the terrain is a slope (raycasthit -> angle higher than threshold).

Another trick would be to set a high static friction and a low dynamic friction. But there is currently only one parameter for friction in 2D physics so that's not supported.

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

The above are good options, there's also:
    - Set gravity-scale to zero when you want the movement to stop.
    - Turn-on X/Y axis constraints when you want the movement to stop.
    - Set the gravity-scale and/or linear-drag to be proportional to the angle of the slope (collision-normal) i.e. steeper = < gravity-scale.

As has been said; these are not tricks, they're rules for the physics in your world. :)

5. Pob_Fr

Pob_Fr

Thanks all for your answers.

I will try your options.

6. scarpelius

scarpelius

@MevMay Thanks for tip, turning rigidbody constrains on and off works like a charm.

7. Bropoc

Bropoc

I recently solved this problem. The key was first to detect when the rigidbody was "grounded" (IE, in contact with a suitably non-steep surface) and then use the surface normal at the contact point as a means to alter the direction of gravity specifically for the rigidbody in question, but only while it remains in contact with the surface.
    I posted my full code here on stack exchange, and I'm pretty happy with the outcome.

8. overcurve

overcurve

What worked for me is to just reduce gravity to a really small number (like 0.01) while grounded. This means that the player can still be pushed by external forces while not pressing any movement keys.

Cletus2000 likes this.