Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Photoshop for Intel Mac?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by tsphillips, Apr 26, 2006.

1. tsphillips

tsphillips

(Yes, straying a bit off topic, but I'm trying to get major asset development tools over to the Intel Mac platform.)

Could anyone make any subjective comments on how Photoshop works with new Intel Macs?

2. Rhuantavan

Rhuantavan

Actually it depends on how patient you are :)

Seriously I have been making some textures on it and besides slower filters and occasional "pauses" it works pretty well. It might not work for you if you have a lot of layers, but for simpler tasks it is quite usable. My estimate is that it *feels* running at about 40% the native speed.

Oh yes, I am running Photoshop CS2 on a 20" intel iMac.

3. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi,

You are able to try gimp, and it's free.

4. tsphillips

tsphillips

Thanks for the replies.

Long ago in a galaxy far away I was a pretty heavy user of Adobe products, but I became really dissatisfied with their support. These were the pre-Mac (i.e., all Windows shop) days and the only good alternative to Photoshop was Paintshop Pro. Since then we've gone with Paintshop Pro for Windows, and I have been using Gimp whenever I needed to do something on the Mac.

Well, Gimp is very nice, but it still has a "clunk" factor in that it doesn't integrate with the desktop and other applications as well as it could. (Due to its X11 heritage.)

So, I gritted my teeth and decided to give Adobe a second chance. I don't feel that their support is necessarily much better, but I need something that works smoother than Gimp on the Mac. I did read a rumor that Apple might buy out Adobe, which I think would be fantastic. My impression now is that Adobe has been rather anti-Mac for a while now. :cry:

5. greenland

greenland

Mentioning the GIMP in a photoshop thread makes you trendy.

Why?
    Also, I think any rumors of Apple bying Adoberomedia are unfounded. This would cause mass hysteria. Apple DOES love mass hysteria and all.... but Adobe, less so.

6. tsphillips

tsphillips

A year or two ago I heard a rumor that Adobe didn't want to continue supporting the Mac. (In hindsight that sounds odd.) It's also disappointing that Adobe has all but said they won't support the Intel Macs. (They will do new development on the Intel Mac, but refuse to port anything.)

7. greenland

greenland

I don't blame em. Apple is notorious for screwing with it's developers.... changing things all willynilly. Why should Adobe spend resources on efforts that would produce no revinue?... Especially if theres Rosetta anyway. It would be a waste.... from a corporate-type standpoint.

8. aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan

"refuse to port anything" is sort of misleading the way you said it. It makes me think that only entirely new programs will become Universal Binary. So, for clarification:

Photoshop (and the whole creative suite) will be Universal Binary at the next release (first or second quarter 2007.) All the code still has to be transitioned, it's just they aren't going to make the current version Universal Binary for free.

It sure would be fun to see Apple buy Adobe and just cancel all Windows versions. :D ...for a day or two, then the backlash would be horrendous.

9. tsphillips

tsphillips

Sorry -- didn't mean to imply that Photoshop would never be Universal. Their statement is pretty clear, though, that they have no interest in porting their "current products." Instead, any move to Universal would fall under new development

From Adobe's statement on supporting Intel Mac:

(BTW, I had to type in the above text by hand, because Adobe has password protected their statement in PDF, prohibiting copy/paste. I love you, Adobe. :x )

In the statement they estimate their normal development cycle to be every 18-24 months.

10. freyr

freyr

You could also try out Seashore which is a native open source OSX image editor. (Based on Gimp in fact, but has totally different GUI, using Cocoa instead of Gtk)

... oh and while I'm at it, there is also Gimpshop which is Gimp modified to look and behave more like Photoshop. (Still an X11 app, but the menus, tools and dialogues have been rearranged and renamed to match Photoshop)

11. Lallander

Lallander

I'll admit seashore has grown on me, and it exports in whatever the heck format Gimp loves so much. So you can always pop into that if you need to do a Gimp only task.

12. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Hi all,

freyr, have you tryed it, Gimpshop is stable?

Plese let me know because that is a very good option

Thank you

13. tsphillips

tsphillips

Thanks, Keli. I'll give Seashore and Gimpshop a try.

14. Richard_B

Richard_B

I use Photoshop CS2 on my MacBook Pro and it works just fine. Adobe do have a roadmap for a Universal binary of Photoshop, but if I reecall correctly it will probably be CS3 :(

Richard.