Search Unity

Photorealism

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by alelordelo, Nov 13, 2015.

1. alelordelo

alelordelo

Hello Folks,

With Unity 5, came the promise of better graphics matching AAA graphics like Unreal Engine.

What is the best example of Unity5 photorealism in a "real life" environment like archviz? So far I've only seen this example

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2015/11/10/bedroom-demo-archviz-with-ssrr/

And it seems hugely inferior that what UE guys are doing

Is Unity 5 capable of doing the same level of realism as the video above? What are the best examples in Unity?

Best

2. Warrior1424

Warrior1424

An engine isn't just going to "give you better graphics", so at the end of the day it comes down to what you as an artist are capable of.

How do you know that the person who made the UE4 scene wasn't a better artist, or just spent more time on it?
    That's the thing: You don't.

Compare engines by their features, not by what others have made with them.

So to answer your question: Yes. I'm quite sure that you can make something look just as good as the UE4 scene you linked.

3. Detniess

Detniess

Currently UE4 has some really good tools for creating these sorts of artistic scenes. Unity lack some of these but they are definitely possible to recreate. As @Warrior1424 says it's more about the artistic approach!

However most of the 3D Artists seems to prefer UE4's tools and workflow at the moment, which contributes to alot more footage and demos presenting UE4's possibilites.. The Unity community needs more of these to be able to get rid of it's "No AAA Graphics Engine"-reputation that some people seem to proclaim. Therefore I want to encourage everyone to keep pushing the limits inside Unity and to show off their work a lot more.

For your actual question: (These are some footage I like)

Also, you shouldn't compare these videos to judge which is the better engine. Alot of the best show-offs, as I believe, are rendered at a very high resolution as camera sweeps and then converted into videos. This is not a practical way of using game engines for ArchViz. This is just a hint or preview on future possibilities in my opinion.

The real power of game engines within architecture is to recreate a more dynamic and immersive experience than the other techniques can deliver. Otherwise the other techniques are far superior. I hope you get my point :)

If you're interested in the main difference. Try demos and read about the core features. I don't know all pros and cons, so this might be useful for alot of us! And if you do, please share with the community :)

theANMATOR2b and Warrior1424 like this.
  4. Gokcan

Gokcan

Before unity5, I probably say no. But now, of course you can achieve that quality

5. alelordelo

alelordelo

I understand your point, but I asked for an example of a work on the same level as the one I mentioned. And so far I haven't seen any! So it can be a matter of the engine tech...

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Use both. Download UE4. Download Unity. Use them. They're both free to try. Then you'll understand the wisdom it's you not the engine.

Both have problems and answers and they're different.

7. alelordelo

alelordelo

Thanks for your constructive inputs! Totally get your points.

I'v seen before the Unity archive you posted and it's the best I could find in Unity. But still is a lot far from many UE examples.

The thing is I am hiring a dev for a job and I won't try it myself, so that is why I asked for feedback on the engines.

again, thanks!

Detniess likes this.