Search Unity

Third Party Photon Viking Demo

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by bertelmonster2k, Sep 1, 2011.

1. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

Photon Viking Demo

Get it - runs ins the cloud, no Server necessary
    Download from the Asset Store:
    http://u3d.as/content/exit-games/photon-viking-demo/2gg

Overview
    In collaboration with Mike/M2H we've been developing a multiplayer version of the official Unity demo "3rd Person MMO Controller". This demo now shows the power of Unity AND Photon. The multiplayer is implemented using the new Photon Unity Networking plugin.

Have fun and watch this short preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfmsDzU4Q94.
    Making of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8S-xSsB9hg&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Related Asset Store Downloads
    Photon Unity Networking: http://u3d.as/content/exit-games/photon-unity-networking/2ey
    Photon Angry Bots Demo: http://u3d.as/content/exit-games/photon-angry-bots-demo/2i9

Requirements
    Compatible with Unity Free.

As server use either

Feedback is welcome! Just reply here.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  2. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

:)
    What's the name of the music track?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  3. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

Asset store says I need Unity 3.4.1 to download the demo - but 3.4.1 is not yet publicly available.

4. the_gnoblin

the_gnoblin

win7 х64
    4672: 03:56:33.649 - CService::OnException() - Exception: CManagedHost::photonRunning() - Failed in AppDomain: 3 - Cannot load Counter Name data because an invalid index '' was read from the registry.

5. loki72

loki72

hmm. yes the asset stores says unity 3.4.1 required.. can't download.

6. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

We re-uploaded with the 3.4 final :#.

7. terrainoob

terrainoob

Still looks to be requiring 3.4.1 on the asset store. Is there a time lag for the update to take effect?

8. AbgaryanFX

AbgaryanFX

+1

9. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

10. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

Until approval you can use this temporary download link:
    not necessary anymore - live in asset store

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  11. GTaveira

GTaveira

I downloaded the link you posted but I got the following errors:

Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs(19,31): error CS0433: The imported type `ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer' is defined multiple times
    Assets\Plugins\PhotonUnity3D.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
    Assets\Photon Unity Networking\Plugins\PhotonNetwork\library\Photon3Unity3D.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)

Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs(19,43): error CS0433: The imported type `ExitGames.Client.Photon.IPhotonPeerListener' is defined multiple times
    Assets\Plugins\PhotonUnity3D.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)
    Assets\Photon Unity Networking\Plugins\PhotonNetwork\library\Photon3Unity3D.dll (Location of the symbol related to previous error)

using Unity 3.4.0f5

12. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Did you also import the Photon unity package?
    The viking demo already includes PUN, so downloading that will cause these errors.

13. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

The updated package is live on the asset store, please download it from there :).

14. oxl

oxl

Hm..not for me . Still showing the need for 3.4.1.

--
    oxl

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  15. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Same...

16. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

This is caching issue in your browser - press reload.

17. oxl

oxl

I was talking about the asset store inside unity, but never mind, it's there now .

--
    oxl

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  18. GTaveira

GTaveira

Hi Leepo!

I didn't import the PUN files but, for some reason, when I reimported everything and it just worked! Who knows...

The only problem is that now I can't connect to the server! When I hit Play in the Editor, the server stops and Unity returns an connection error.

Did anyone experience that as well or am I missing something? I'm using the server downloaded from the Photon site, since I'm on a 64-bit Windows and the server that comes with the Viking demo is x86.

19. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

The websites server is not compatible with PUN. Please use the bundled XP version, this will work on almost any windows version. I think you will be able to get a 64bit build for your specific OS if you request it. For this first launch XP was chosen as target as that'll ensure it'll run on any server.

20. ExitBG

ExitBG

It seems there is IP 127.0.0.11 configured in MainMenuVik.cs. change this to 127.0.0.1.

21. BBGameDev

BBGameDev

--------------------------
    OperationResponse 7: ReturnCode: 6 (Failed to get server instance.). Parameters: {}
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    PhotonHandler:DebugReturn(DebugLevel, String) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonHandler.cs:82)
    NetworkingPeer:DebugReturn(DebugLevel, String) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:669)
    NetworkingPeer:OnOperationResponse(OperationResponse) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:680)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PeerBase:DeserializeMessageAndCallback(Byte[])
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer:DispatchIncomingCommands()
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer:DispatchIncomingCommands()
    PhotonHandler:Update() (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonHandler.cs:48)
    --------------

joinGame failed, client stays on masterserver: OperationResponse 7: ReturnCode: 6 (Failed to get server instance.). Parameters: {}.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    PhotonHandler:DebugReturn(DebugLevel, String) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonHandler.cs:82)
    NetworkingPeer:DebugReturn(DebugLevel, String) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:669)
    NetworkingPeer:OnOperationResponse(OperationResponse) (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/NetworkingPeer.cs:774)
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PeerBase:DeserializeMessageAndCallback(Byte[])
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.EnetPeer:DispatchIncomingCommands()
    ExitGames.Client.Photon.PhotonPeer:DispatchIncomingCommands()
    PhotonHandler:Update() (at Assets/Photon Unity Networking/Plugins/PhotonNetwork/PhotonHandler.cs:48)

22. ExitBG

ExitBG

please check your game server log. looks like it couldn't connect to the master server.

23. BBGameDev

BBGameDev

tanks ExitBG

Only find in GSGame1.log and GSGame2.log

2011-09-09 00:59:47,968 [10] ERROR Photon.LoadBalancing.GameServer.GameApplication [(null)] - Latency monitor connection failed with err 1225: Il sistema remoto ha rifiutato la connessione di rete.

client UNITY on MAC

server WIN XP 32

24. GTaveira

GTaveira

Thanks Leepo and ExitBG! I'll try both suggestions!

25. BBGameDev

BBGameDev

Client on MAC
    server WIN xp

client side(Unity):"connection refused" onCreate Room

Server side:
    2011-09-11 16:32:21,578 [1] WARN Photon.LoadBalancing.LoadShedding.WorkloadController [(null)] - Did not find counter Business Logic Queue
    2011-09-11 16:32:21,625 [1] WARN Photon.LoadBalancing.LoadShedding.WorkloadController [(null)] - Did not find counter ENet Queue
    2011-09-11 16:32:21,625 [1] WARN Photon.LoadBalancing.LoadShedding.WorkloadController [(null)] - Did not find counter bytes in/sec
    2011-09-11 16:32:21,640 [1] WARN Photon.LoadBalancing.LoadShedding.WorkloadController [(null)] - Did not find counter bytes out/sec
    2011-09-11 16:32:21,796 [1] INFO Photon.SocketServer.ApplicationBase [(null)] - Application start: AppId=Game1; AppPath=C:\Documents and Settings\Bruno\Desktop\Photon-Server\LoadBalancing\GameServer1
    2011-09-11 16:32:22,781 [11] ERROR Photon.LoadBalancing.GameServer.GameApplication [(null)] - Latency monitor connection failed with err 1225: Il sistema remoto ha rifiutato la connessione di rete.
    2011-09-11 16:32:22,796 [11] ERROR Photon.LoadBalancing.GameServer.GameApplication [(null)] - Master connection failed with err 1225: Il sistema remoto ha rifiutato la connessione di rete.
    2011-09-11 16:32:24,859 [11] ERROR Photon.LoadBalancing.GameServer.GameApplication [(null)] - Latency monitor connection failed with err 1225: Il sistema remoto ha rifiutato la connessione di rete.
    2011-09-11 16:32:26,140 [11] INFO Photon.LoadBalancing.LoadShedding.LatencyMonitor [(null)] - connection for latency monitoring established (id=7)
    2011-09-11 16:32:39,859 [11] INFO Photon.LoadBalancing.GameServer.OutgoingMasterServerPeer [(null)] - connection to master at 127.0.0.1:4520 established (id=8)
    2011-09-11 16:32:39,890 [10] INFO Photon.LoadBalancing.GameServer.OutgoingMasterServerPeer [(null)] - Successfully registered at master server

26. ExitBG

ExitBG

if you want to connect from a remote machine you have to modify the IP the game server reports to the master server. Please check chapter 2.1 in the included PDF.

27. BBGameDev

BBGameDev

Many tanks ExitGB works fine...
    my fault not having read the document carefully

28. jaybones_old

jaybones_old

Is there a way to keep an room active with no players in it?
    Say i want my world to stay up even if the last person disconnects

then i can run the client again and join my room(world)

jay

29. ExitBG

ExitBG

as long as anyone holds a RoomReference the room remains open.
    You could change the code to retrieve another RoomReference from the GameCache on game creation.

30. DaneC020

DaneC020

Really cool guys, thanks for this!

-Dane

31. polytropoi

polytropoi

@Leepo, I look forward to Photon tutorials from you that are as good as your Unity networking set. But I hope you don't abandon your work with Unity's builtin networking! Photon is awesome, but there's something really cool about the co-op networking stuff you can do for free, that your tutorials helped me understand.

32. fholm

fholm

Read through the sources, it seems like this is just another "pass through client data to all other clients"-server, as the server is not authoritative?

I've been looking into on how to create an authoritative server with photon that has control over player movement, but there seems to be no way to expose the vector/quaternion/matrix libraries of Unity to Photon. Does Photon have something built in that does this? (I've been looking through your documentation, but can't find any API docs anywhere).

33. ExitBG

ExitBG

correct, no authoritative servers - yet.

34. evillemez

evillemez

Yet? Awwwww.... don't leave us hanging, what's coming? :)

35. bertelmonster2k

bertelmonster2k

36. marf

marf

What I need to change in the CharacterPrefab to make the player in the first person mode?

37. tobiass

tobiass

The Viking Demo is also updated to PUN 1.12. Some new features, lots of improvements.
    Let us know how it does.

38. tobiass

tobiass

39. tobiass

tobiass

40. tobiass

tobiass

And another update: PUN 1.16. Click here for details.
    No questions or bugs? :)
    Edit: I found a bug myself. 1.16 won't compile in the initial release. Please make sure you got 1.16.2 or up. If it doesn't compile: Look for a update. I'm pushing it up while I post.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  41. tobiass

tobiass

I just uploaded v1.17 of PUN (free), the Viking Demo and Photon Angry Bots.
    There's a fix for an exception, so: Please update!
    Click here for details.

42. CallToAdventure

CallToAdventure

Awesome work!

One question - I can't seem to find it anywhere - does it work on iOS? I get this error:

Error building Player: SystemException: System.Net.Sockets are supported only on Unity iPhone Advanced. Referenced from assembly 'Photon3Unity3D'.

43. tobiass

tobiass

44. Deleted

Deleted

Downloaded and imported it -> Set Photon ID -> Play -> Created lobby -> Error above.

What's the problem? (Unity 4.0.0f7)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  45. tobiass

tobiass

I didn't check yet if changes in the animation system of U4 break something in that demo. The other demo with the worker is doing fine in U4.
    I will check early next year. Hopefully you can bear with us or find a workaround.

46. Deleted

Deleted

I tried Viking Demo after trying Angry Bots (which sticks on loading 0%). Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

P.S. To solve the issue above I just removed animations.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  47. Deleted

Deleted

So basically to create a multiplayer game for Android/iPhone you must pay at least 3000$ for Unity Pro and Android/iPhone Pro.. :(

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  48. TB0Y298

TB0Y298

How do i change the CharPrefab with a FirstPersonController?
    I added the Photon and Network view to it (Prefab).
    Deleted then the prefab in the current scene, and tryed to play it.
    But i getting weird results now when somebody trys to join :(

Can you help or teach me how?

49. Victor-Cardona

Victor-Cardona

Hello i have unity 4.0.0f7, downloaded the latests Viking Demo 1.17 from asset store, start a new project and imported the package, i set the photon app ID, play and gives me this error:

The animation state Fall could not be played because it couldn't be found!
    Please attach an animation clip with the name 'Fall' or call this function only for existing animations.
    UnityEngine.Animation:CrossFade(String)
    AnimationController:Update() (at Assets/DemoVikings/Demo/Assets/AnimationController.cs:220)

NullReferenceException
    AnimationController.OnLand () (at Assets/DemoVikings/Demo/Assets/AnimationController.cs:129)
    AnimationController.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/DemoVikings/Demo/Assets/AnimationController.cs:166)

The animation state Land could not be played because it couldn't be found!
    Please attach an animation clip with the name 'Land' or call this function only for existing animations.
    AnimationController:Update() (at Assets/DemoVikings/Demo/Assets/AnimationController.cs:223)

after that when i press space bar to jump

NullReferenceException
    AnimationController.OnJump () (at Assets/DemoVikings/Demo/Assets/AnimationController.cs:119)
    ThirdPersonControllerNET.FixedUpdate () (at Assets/DemoVikings/Scripts/ThirdPersonControllerNET.cs:180)

The animation state Jump could not be played because it couldn't be found!
    Please attach an animation clip with the name 'Jump' or call this function only for existing animations.
    AnimationController:Update() (at Assets/DemoVikings/Demo/Assets/AnimationController.cs:217)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  50. tobiass

tobiass

TBOY298:
    The Marco Polo Tutorial text should help here. In it, we describe how to setup and use a prefab:
    http://doc.exitgames.com/photon-cloud/Marco_Polo_Tutorial/#cat-PUN Tutorials

Yuu:
    This seems to be a problem with the char we use (it's a Unity 3 asset) and Unity 4. You need to setup/fix the animations of the viking in Unity 4 at the moment.

I hope we can find a solution that's compatible with Unity 3 and 4. Else, we will have to upload two versions of the demo (as we don't want to end support for Unity 3 just yet).