Search Unity

Third Party Photon Server and Uzone

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by luizcarlosfx, Nov 23, 2013.

1. luizcarlosfx

luizcarlosfx

Is it possible to use photon server with uzone managing unity instances on the server side? This would solve the problems of detecting collisions on the server side when using photon or smartfox.

2. Glader

Glader

I've written a prototype that allows you to effectively use a client to a Photon Server instance as a 'server instance' for handling AI and such. I did so by having the Photon Server listen on two different sockets and make the connections to one or the other depending on what type of client they are, a player or server client.

From this I was able to hide a lot of information from the user with many pros and cons. I'm not sure what uzone is or how/if you've managed to use a unity instance as a server with photon but this is an interesting topic. I hope someone else knowledgeable on Photon can come in and talk about how they handled problems like this.

3. luizcarlosfx

luizcarlosfx

4. JamesPro

JamesPro

If your going to be purchasing a License for uZone then why not just use uLink and everything that's included with the License? We use uLink and uZone for our project. We have never had a need for uLobby and we started out using uGameDB however we have since switched to a MySQL based Database backend.

5. luizcarlosfx

luizcarlosfx

I am using ulink trial, but I was just wondering if it is possible to use uzone or if there is another solution like uzone for use with photon server or smarfox server.
    So are you using MySQL without use uGameDB? Are you using ado.net framework, nHibernate or something else?
    Maybe I will purchase Unity Park Suite license, but my game still in research phase and it´s important know about all tecnologies before start implementing.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  6. JamesPro

JamesPro

We are using just normal MySQL with out use of uGameDB. uGameDB uses a different kind of Database that I find is harder to use. Switching to MySQL gives us the ability to tie the game into our website.

7. luizcarlosfx

luizcarlosfx

Thanks. Your answer helps me a lot.