Search Unity

Third Party Photon PUN2 Free forever or only during the first 60GB?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by BobyUnity, Apr 26, 2020.

1. BobyUnity

BobyUnity

Hi Guys,

On the PUN Page:
    https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/PUN/pricing

it says 60GB free. Is this 60GB each month or is it a single pay and then I have to create another account or have to pay? Can someone tell me from own experiences?

I'm thinking about starting with networking stuff with Unity and I think the decision of finding the right Asset to start with is far more difficult that with other Problems in Unity.

I took a closer look on PUN2 because it seams to be easy to learn and still quite powerful.
    I thought about using the NetCode solution from Unity but since its still in alpha it will change quite dramatically.

Thanks

2. Mauri

Mauri

Clicking on the "MORE ..." button reveals additional details:
    Basically, you'll only have 60GB traffic available in total. If you use them all up, then... that's it.

3. BobyUnity

BobyUnity

Ok that is bad. I don't plan to code something I am going to sell so free should be free. I only want to build a small game for me and friends. So I will continue searching for a viable solution. Thanks a lot for your answer!

4. BobyUnity

BobyUnity

Hm PUN2 actually sounds like a very potent solution. Is it possible to switch the PUN account after the 60GB are drained? Since I am a hobbyist (at least for networking atm) I would like to use a free version. When the solution means that I have to create a new E-mail each 2 months than still its completely not a problem :p. I know that's not the idea of the inventor.

Do you have experience with this? Or someone else?

5. bonickhausen

bonickhausen

Just use Mirror. It's free, no CCU limits and it'll get the job done.

Joe-Censored and mischa2k like this.
  6. BobyUnity

BobyUnity

Just found out about it yesterday actually! Looks quite promising. Is there a free server where you can host stuff or do you have to set up an own server? Is it also LAN ready so can I just setup a host without internet connection? Is there enough stuff to learn from? I only found a few example projects and the one that I would have preferred (Tanks) is not uploaded yet. Also a few Youtube Vids. Still looks like a significant amount of time that was invested into Mirror.

7. mischa2k

mischa2k

Mirror is free to use, but you have to host your game on your own server and pay for it yourself :)
    Check out google cloud - they have a 'f1 micro' instance that is 20% of a CPU, but it's free and it's enough for very small games.

The networking doesn't know the difference between internet and LAN. It both works.

Mirror comes with several example projects included. Tanks is also in there.
    For really advanced examples, check out my signature (uMMORPG, uSurvival, etc.)

Yes :)
    We spent 3 years on Mirror, with nearly 4000 commits (most of it bug fixes and improvements).
    Mirror was based on UNET, which was in development for around 5 years by a team of 2-6 people.
    I believe UNET was based on Unity's first RakNet networking because we found some parts in the code. So that's probably another 5 years of work.

When people say 'just make your own networking', I think they often forget just how much work that is :)

Joe-Censored likes this.
  8. BobyUnity

BobyUnity

Great idea! Worked with Amazon Web Services so I would probably try this stuff. Otherwise when I have issues I will keep GCloud in mind. Nice that options like this exist these days.

PUN does actually not allow LAN so that makes Mirror a very interesting option for me.

Watched a few videos on Youtube and it really doesn't sound like a difficult solution. Great work there and great respect for an investment in the community like this! Will go for Mirror ;)

mischa2k likes this.