Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Party Photon PUN random connection flaw

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by SlonCHL, Aug 27, 2014.

1. SlonCHL

SlonCHL

I have no idea what I did but my Unity Editor often stuck at "ConnectingToNameServer" at random times, normally when I enter playmode after editing my script(Haven't try on the built version tho), then gives me an error saying that "No such host is known". I don't think it affects the built version but it is very annoying as I will have to wait for some time before I can exit and re-enter playmode, plus it isn't guaranteed that it will work even after the re-enter.

EDIT: It does affect the built version

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  2. tobiass

tobiass

Does this problem persist?
    We had temporary issues in the Asian cloud region but they should be solved.
    Where are you and where do you connect to?

"No such host is known" sounds like an issue with your device or network. The DNS lookup seems to fail sometimes?!

3. SlonCHL

SlonCHL

Yes it does, I'm connecting from Asia to the Asia region cloud. Lately it is happening very very frequently. It's not because of editing my script, it just happens. I have an auto reconnector when photon fails to connect to the server, sometimes it can go up to 3-4 times of failing before it can successfully reconnects and I'll have to wait very long at "ConnectingToNameServer" before it fails.

All of what I said is based off yesterday's encounter, I'll give you an update if it is resolved by the next time I use it

4. tobiass

tobiass

5. SlonCHL

SlonCHL

There's only 1 log in the console, the "No such host is known". After failing the connection state goes to "PeerCreated". Still need me to mail that log?

Edit: I tried changing to other cloud regions and the problem still persist but the occurrence have been reduced, looks like it's not just where it is connecting to, it's where it's connecting from.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  6. tobiass

tobiass

When the "No such host is known" happens, you will get a callback. You should log the ServerAddress at that moment.
    Either the address is broken (and really unknown) OR your machine is temporarily unable to resolve the address. This would be a problem with the network or the system you run the player on.
    We can't do anything on the Photon-side, as this error means your player can't even find the IP address of the server for some reason.
    Sorry I can't help more concrete.

7. Red_Kay

Red_Kay

Even I use Asian server and its happening for me too.
    Its very frustrating please fix it!

8. tobiass

tobiass

Which Unity version did build this? What platform and which PUN version are you using?
    How often does this happen?

9. Red_Kay

Red_Kay

now it has stopped happening
    I am running unity 5.2.2
    and the latest version of photon

10. tobiass

tobiass

Now that you say this, I asked my colleagues about this. We got more reports like yours for a few days and then things got better. We can't really say what was going on, because it was not happening in the server center but somewhere outside.
    Now things should be back to normal.

11. BrianND

BrianND

12. tobiass

tobiass

@BrianND: As you already posted in our forum, let's discuss there.