Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Party Photon PUN - MessageInfo Sender may be null, what are the alternatives?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Paulx774, Jul 15, 2021.

1. Paulx774

Paulx774

I need to know who sends RPC to the other players in the game. According to the document, when an RPC is called, a variable (PhotonMessageInfo) including sender info is automatically sent as well. When I checked the variable info.Sender, the description of the variable says it may be null.

What are the situations that the variable may be null? And how can I send the sender via RPC?

2. tobiass

tobiass

An event can be sent by the server, who is not represented as player. Event Join and other updates coming from the server will have no Sender as such.
    RPCs always have some origin. Just check if the Sender is non-null. Throw an error if any update / event should be coming from another player but it doesn't have a Sender.

3. Paulx774

Paulx774

As long as, I don't use buffered RPCs or RPCs via Server, the sender is not null? Is that correct?

4. tobiass

tobiass

Even buffered RPCs are sent by some player, so the Sender is usually known. I write "usually" because in theory you could keep someone's RPCs buffered, even if that person leaves. In that case, the buffered RPC belongs to a player which a joining client doesn't know and then the Sender is null.

The RPC "Via Server" option is about how the RPC gets executed on the sender itself. When sent "Via Server", the RPC makes a roundtrip and the local player executes it delayed (but at about the same time as everyone). Without that, the RPC gets executed immediately locally (which gives a slight benefit and short desync).

Paulx774 likes this.
  5. tobiass

tobiass

By the way: We'd recommend to use Fusion for new-ish projects. It has a solid tick based system, provides lag compensated hit checks and is properly host / server authoritative.
    There is a preliminary doc for developers coming from PUN 2, to get you started with Fusion.

It does have RPCs as well ;)

Paulx774 likes this.