Search Unity

Photon Maximum User Number

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wholast710, Nov 14, 2022.

1. wholast710

wholast710

How many people can I bring together in the same scene with Photon Network? When I check the website, it says the maximum number of rooms is 16, what does it mean?

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

It's in Photon's FAQ.

Generally speaking, that question makes little sense because the theoretical limit of user connections has little to do with how many concurrent players a specific game can realistically support on a single server instance.

It depends a lot on what the game is and how it's implemented, what the server has to calculate in realtime, how much traffic players can possibly generate during peak hours, how fast-paced (sensible to lag) the game is, and so on.

Antypodish likes this.
  3. wholast710

wholast710

what i want to do is a mmorpg like game

4. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Well, in that case ... it's not just about getting a networking library that supports X number of connected clients. Far from it. I recommend reading this as well as this just to grasp a glimpse at what kind of challenges and decisions you'll be facing.

5. wholast710

wholast710

dude i didn't want an opinion on how to make mmorpg, all i want to know is how i can get 300 users together in the same scene.

6. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Well that's kind of my point, 300 connections okay but then what? Do you pick Photon as the foundation to build your MMO on just because it is supposed to support 300 connections? So do many other networking libraries ...

What about how efficiently the networking library batches and transmits data? How well does server code scale with connections, linearly or exponentially with growing number of connections? Does the transport generate garbage every frame? Stability? Long-term support? Multithreading? How is latency compensated? Does the server run on ticks or timestamps? How flexible is RPC messaging? What about parenting networked objects? What about scene management? And so on ...

Check this list for features you might need. Photon isn't in it though but it should give you a better understanding what else you need to be looking at in-depth.

Note: the list purposefully does not include a "maximum number of connections" (CCU) because that's pretty much an arbitrary metric.

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  8. wholast710

wholast710

Foton füzyonu deneyimi olan var mı, aynı sahnede daha fazla kullanıcı olabileceğini duydum, bu doğru mu?

9. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

You are not going to achieve 300 users with any "off the shelf" networking package. There is a reason large scale multiplayer games have dedicated network engineer teams.

You would be honestly lucky to achieve 30+ players at a good framerate and reasonablish incurred cost (because yes, its going to cost per month to run these services)

Ryiah likes this.
  10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Photon Fusion has the same inherent limitations per room: 500 messages per second and 16 players. You can have these limitations increased with a custom license but you're still not going to be able to have hundreds per room.

https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/Fusion/Pricing

Photon Server can be made to do it if you must have a product from them, and it appears to have a master server as well as load balancers, but you're still going to have to do a considerable amount of work and host the servers yourself. Just be aware it's one of the more expensive choices out there as you're paying per server.

https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/Server
    https://www.photonengine.com/en-US/Server/Pricing

Just be aware there are more solutions available than just Photon. While it comes in a more complete state out of the box it's much more expensive than alternatives like SmartFox.

https://www.smartfoxserver.com/products/sfs2x
    https://www.smartfoxserver.com/buy/sfs2x

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
    MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  11. tobiass

tobiass

Fusion is capable of having many more users in a room than any other of our solutions. 200+ is not out of the question.
    There is even a Fusion example shooter supporting 200 players, called BR200.
    That sample is of course not meant as a basis for an MMO but proves it's technically possible. MMOs usually use a lower update frequency which means it's possible to handle more players.
    The limits for the Fusion subscription can be disregarded for testing and when we know the proof-of-concept is working, we won't keep anyone from releasing a game with more than 500msg/sec in a room.

There is no Fusion MMO sample.
    There is currently still a technical hurdle which doesn't allow 300 players in a room but we are working on that.

TibiTibith and N1warhead like this.