Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Third Party Photon : i just don't get it !

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by CloudFs, Jul 4, 2014.

1. CloudFs

CloudFs

hi guys i know that 90% of you will tell me that i'm a noob
    but what i really want to understand is if photon can allow players to make there own rooms
    and is the photon multiplayer free version allows only 20 players in all of the game or in just every room ?

'cause i want to make my fps a multiplayer fps but i'm afraid that i use photon than i can't go more than 20 players in the game

so what i'm trying to say is that i need something that allows alot of player like cs where player makes there own servers and play
    or like uber strike (made with unity) where you make a room and play ..

AistisV likes this.
  2. chrisall76

chrisall76

Go through the Photon example, it handles letting players make a room/join a room.
    The free version of photon is limited to 20 people per game. if your going for a fps and you want dedicated servers, your gonna have to pay (I don't know any solution that offers dedicated servers for 100% free).
    https://www.exitgames.com/en/PUN/Pricing

Now if you have players host there own servers, that would be different. I don't know which one of these are dedicated or not, but here's a chart on all well known networking solutions.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FVGQWxUWW9Fdmk2RzNfa3hUZU90V1E&hl=en_US#gid=0

winkan likes this.
  3. CloudFs

CloudFs

So yoy mean that if i use photon i can make like 10 rooms nad have in each room 20 players ?? cith the free version ?

4. chrisall76

chrisall76

No, as in you can only have 20 players overall. at that point once 20 players are playing your game online no one else can join. For more players, you have to pay.

5. CloudFs

CloudFs

aaa oky and there is no other way ? 'cause my budget is likee 0 .. and i was going to do a kickstarter but the game is in an early stage and i know how backers can rush you sometimes

6. chrisall76

chrisall76

In that cause, you don't need to use photon. At least, until you get funds. Unity's built-in networking is fine, but it depends on how big your talking about. A FPS like counter-strike should work alright, but at the same time there could be better solutions out there. For now if you can't pay for anything, use Unity's networking. Then later once you get funds upgrade to photon or a better solution.

7. CloudFs

CloudFs

so i saw the pricing and i think that with some help i can affored the 1000 plan ..
    but 1000 player isn't enough for me so is there a way to get more players
    ( i need to know the networking that uber strike uses it's amazing - alot of player - no lag )

8. CloudFs

CloudFs

aa oky and how much players can unity networking support !!

9. CloudFs

CloudFs

10. chrisall76

chrisall76

The solution SmartFox offers unlimited, it's cost alot though.
    http://www.smartfoxserver.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=categories.view&category_id=2

As for photon, from there website
    I dunno on appwarp, as I don't hear of it being commonly used.

Unity networking is not dedicated server-based (AKA photon and other solutions), it's peer to peer.
    Bacially means the player who created the server is hosting the server on there network, while a dedicated server solution host the servers on there own computers made for doing it (photon does this in around 5 major locations). So the limit to Unity networking and other peer-to-peer solutions is based on how many players the server host can handle.

11. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

If you don't even have 10 players, why do you need more than 1000?

Deleted User and CloudFs like this.
  12. CloudFs

CloudFs

oky and id i can afford a didicated server like mmo's do! does that mean that i can handle alot of CCU's
    and if that's the case can i have a tutorial on setting up my fps on a didicated server 'cause i suck at networking !

+ thnx for everything you have informed me very well

13. chrisall76

chrisall76

For a MMO, it's different. Yea sure the networking solution may work, but a game as big as a MMO needs special things done to it to keep the performance up. Yea, I'd honestly learn all of how networking works before you jump into a mp game, and a MMO should be held off for a while (unless you feel like basally making your own solution). I don't really know any tutorials on Unity networking, but I know good ones on Photon.

14. tobiass

tobiass

Photon Cloud has a 100 CCU plan for $95 one-time.
    It can be combined with the PUN+ 100 CCU "boost". Again it's a one time fee.

CCU means concurrent players. Playing at the same time.
    If you don't have the funding and neither the attention, you probably have a hard time getting 100 users to play at the same time. Those plans should be fine until you reach several thousand sales.

In worst case, get in touch with us when you need more CCU for a show, sale or whatever.

chrisall76 and CloudFs like this.
  15. CloudFs

CloudFs

oky i get it and what about cs 1.6 type of networking what's that all about
    how do i set up a system where players make there own servers to play with there friends .. ( that's how i don't have to worry about anything)

16. chrisall76

chrisall76

17. CloudFs

CloudFs

hhh thnx

18. CloudFs

CloudFs

i get what u'r talking about but i can't find a way to make it like cs where the player host the server on he's computer and others can play if they have the server Ip !! ..
    all the link that u sent me so far are for photon ! ..
    that's not what i'm looking for

19. chrisall76

chrisall76

No, all the links are Unity's solution (the first two links are even from the Unity documentation itself). May look similar code-wise since Photon's code is also similar.