Search Unity

Photon Fusion Outclass Unity Solution For Free ?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by GameSire, Nov 11, 2021.

1. GameSire

GameSire

2. toddkc

toddkc

I'm not sure I understand your question, but I had no idea that Photon had a Fusion example on the asset store. Thanks for pointing it out!

3. GameSire

GameSire

Proton fusion is free and currently gives better performance than any other public networking system.

4. tobiass

tobiass

Yes, we've been a bit sneaky about the sample, as Fusion is still just a release candidate. :)

To be upfront about being "free": Fusion as SDK is free but there is a "hosting" fee involved for released games. It is based on the maximum number of players at any time (CCU) in a month and covers hosting, development and to a degree support. We are updating our pages to get the pricing page up. It's been posted in our Discord already.

The Tanknarok Multiplayer Demo is free. The "Fusion 100" doc pages explain what it does and how you can use Fusion in any project.
    Currently, Fusion is available as SDK via our Fusion Doc pages (as there are daily builds).

toddkc likes this.
  5. GameSire

GameSire

So you cannot self host it ?

6. toddkc

toddkc

7. nathanjams

nathanjams

Any ballpark idea of when you plan to have this officially on the market?

I have to say that I've been interested in MLAPI but looking at Fusion just now and wow, you're experience in the field shows.

8. PutridEx

PutridEx

From my understanding I can host fusion myself, for improved security/ping, but I still have to pay the same price.

Is that not correct? Does it have to be on photon's servers?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  9. tobiass

tobiass

We adopted the habit of not giving ETAs for releases but Fusion has a Release Candidate version already and you can download the SDK right now, as well as several samples (even one for VR). We take some time to help with everything else via Discord (can be joined via the Photon Account).

Fusion can be run as Server (no player), Host (Server + 1 Player locally) or in Shared Mode (where the Photon Cloud sorts and distributes state as being supplied by the clients). You can host dedicated Fusion Servers anywhere but it's not strictly necessary.
    In either case, our work and infrastructure is being used for matchmaking, seamless NAT punch, relay and soon Host Migration. Not to mention the actual networking solution...

No matter which network architecture you use, you pay per CCU playing at the same time (max per month). This is something we can count well, scaling for any size/success and reasonably simple to plan.
    The fee is not only for the hosting. Yes, it's bound to the CCUs but we cross finance the team working on all aspects of Fusion. There is more to pay for than just the servers receiving and sending bytes.

nathanjams likes this.
unityunity