Search Unity

Third Party Photon Fusion Central Hub -> smaller instances? Playmaker Compatible?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by TechWasAMistake, Aug 29, 2021.

1. TechWasAMistake

TechWasAMistake

Hello,

I'm trying to recreate something similar to club penguin, but smaller in scale. I see that Photon stresses "Room Based" multiplayer?

Can it handle instances/different maps?
    Players join a server, load into a hub, that has say a separate store instance? Or is it only for single room/level/map based multiplayer?

Also is the Fusion beta compatible with play maker? Does it support html5/browser games? If not would Mirror or Pun 2 or something else work?
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
  2. tobiass

tobiass

Room based multiplayer just means that there are distinct matches, comparable to when players host a game (as opposed to open worlds with a lot of players).
    So instances are basically the bread and butter of Photon and also for Fusion. This means different game modes and maps are fine.
    Fusion aims for up to 200 players in a match.

Play Maker does not support Fusion at the moment. If that's planned I can't really say. It would be nice for sure.
    Fusion does not yet work in the browser. There are technical hurdles for that in terms of browser performance (due to memory access being restricted).

Other solutions will surely also work but have different approaches to problems, so the work you need to put in will differ. Technically, Fusion is state of the art and should allow the biggest player count with great replication and authoritative handling of state.

TechWasAMistake likes this.
  3. TechWasAMistake

TechWasAMistake

Thank you for the informative reply. You answered everything I want to know. I'll will be keeping an eye on fusion for the future.

tobiass likes this.