Search Unity

Third Party Photon Bolt: Can I use masterserver and punchthrough, without spending anything on servers?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by IAMBATMAN, Jun 19, 2017.

1. IAMBATMAN

IAMBATMAN

2. tobiass

tobiass

Actually, Photon is quite cheap, even compared to uNet. And Bolt seems to be a good option for some games / developers. To run the servers and fund development, it's certainly not a surprise there is a fee.

3. IAMBATMAN

IAMBATMAN

Yes! @tobiass I understand the use for the cloud servers, and I'm using PUN with the cloud for a quick top down shooter WebGL game in the works.

This is just for some research into alternatives as I don't see PUN as a reliable solution for a standalone pc game I'm thinking of making. It's more of a sandbox and I'd like a master server with player hosted servers (or my offical servers) in the list. So players can own houses and land (in game) permanently, think more of Unturned or Rust instead of room based which works better with Shooters and quick matches.

Any more info on the question in the title?
    Edit: When I say "without spending anything on servers", I mean that players could host all the servers to keep my game running, and they'd appear in the list. That's something that Unturned does.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  4. tobiass

tobiass

If you bought Bolt a while ago, you could use that version without CCU costs.
    As of now, we can't support a version with just a one-time fee. It's just not feasible in a professional context. We had to ask: How long can we code and do support for $100?!

Sorry.

If you bought Bolt in Beta but updated "accidentally" without backing up your version, mail us: developer@photonengine.com. We can surely find the older version to send it to you. Include your Asset Store account name and the Invoice you got from the store.

forestrf likes this.