Search Unity

Official Photogrammetry in Unity: Making Real-World Objects into Digital Assets

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by SebLagarde, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Liminal-Ridges

Liminal-Ridges

Forget the last too. At 27 inches you go for 2k. Otherwise you will be seeing the pixel grid.

2. sureneazx

sureneazx

Hi, is there a way to implement photogrammetry in unity?

3. tongchimlang

tongchimlang

Waiting for update the project for unity 2018.3 and HDRP 4.1.0

4. optimise

optimise

New update coming soon for Unity 2018.3?

ftejada likes this.
  5. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Hi, yes; we are planning to release the project on github for 2018.3 and HDRP pacakge 4.7.0 this week.

6. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

Photogrammetry is not an algorithm but a workflow, we have written a guide here: https://unity.com/fr/solutions/photogrammetry (you can download 2 ebook, one about workflow for capturing data, one about workflow in Unity for using capture data).

7. Danua

Danua

Hi, i've got issue with hdrp, it constantly load my gpu at 100%, it's occurs with our build, how I can contact with unity devs to show him our build, for helping us?

8. SebLagarde

SebLagarde

Unity Technologies

9. keeponshading

keeponshading

VisualEffectGraph. ShaderGraph. LightMapGroups. on GitHub
    Amazing. Thanks. Best learning ressource in an great environment.

A Fan

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  10. Danua

Danua

Hi there, i've got some issue with overexposed icon at project window when I use correct physical unit setup, i set directional light at 100k lux, sky to 15000 lux and set autoexposure 0.05, will you solve it? Also it ruib debug view, lux meter no longer work cuz it solid white upload_2019-1-19_17-22-38.png
    upload_2019-1-19_17-20-9.png upload_2019-1-19_17-20-57.png

11. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. I have some problems with
    LightmappedLOD.cs.
    In the Editor and play mode it it works great.
    In builds there are some problems for the bigger stones. Highest LOD ok. All lower LOD seems to not taking the Lightmap and fade to brighter LightProbe representation.

Does anyone know why? Are these glitches in builds coming from other batching behaviour?

12. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi Danua, we will have better support for full range physical light units in 2019.1
    In the meantime I believe you can get it to work ok in the game view with even lower exposure compensation but the debug views will still be clamped, the current limit is really on the edge when using a sun with 120 000 lux intensity and sky around 20 000 lux.
    Also make sure you're not using the procedural sky with the sun disk enabled as the sun disk explodes really quickly it's not designed to work with physical units and it will be replaced later in the year.

13. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi, We are also seeing an issue on the BigRoots object, is this the one your referring to ?

14. laurent-h

laurent-h

I just committed a fix that works for these objects. Let me know if the fix is good for you too.

15. keeponshading

keeponshading

Nice. Bigger Rocks and Tree Stumps are in "LightMapLODSync" now.
    I had have the same issue in my HDRP Megascans LavaField LOD rebake. Fixed, too.

The Sun/SunQuad/LensFlare
    has a little flicker glitch when you look into.

Unity 2018.3.2f1

LensFalreGlitch.JPG

JamesArndt likes this.
  16. keeponshading

keeponshading

17. optimise

optimise

Hi, any plan to do 24 hours day/night cycle instead of toggling button to switch day/night like the current demo?

ftejada likes this.
  18. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi, thanks for raising this. It took a while but we found out what the issue was, it appears some of our lens flares textures are 16bits png and sometimes they give unpredictable results like that, we'll change the format and bring up the issue to the team.

keeponshading likes this.
  19. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi, we have been experimenting a bit with the day/night cycle but we haven't had time to really make it solid. Some of our in progress development will help support day/night cycle so it's worth trying again soon. If we release it, it will probably be a branch of the project.

ftejada and optimise like this.
  20. optimise

optimise

Does it means we can get everything physically correct at 2019.3 cycle?
    Another question, any plan to implement in-game graphics setting so player can tweak various graphics settings from low to ultra based on hardware specification in game easily?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  21. laurent-h

laurent-h

We plan on unlocking physically correct intensities (like as you mentioned 120 000 lux sun and 20 000 lux sky) for 2019.2 at latest and probably we'll need to polish some of the debug tools until 2019.3 so they are compliant with the intensities. We still have a bugs to fix in 2019.1 but there will already be a new exposure system in there.

keeponshading, ftejada and optimise like this.
  22. YuriyPopov

YuriyPopov

Hi there I would like to ask how did you paint the vertex data for the trees and vegetation moving with the Vertex_Wind. I tried painting my own trees in Unity with vertex painter but nothing seems to work.

23. laurent-h

laurent-h

The wind we use in this project has some hidden settings because we want to change the wind system in the next version.
    The 2018.1 version exposes the settings in the materials, and the vertex alpha controls the leaf animation.
    Going forward we want to use shadergraph for vertex animation.

antoripa and Circool like this.
  24. reintseri

reintseri

Hi everyone. I would like to know if anyone has successfully built this project in 2019.1 or any 2019 version of Unity. At least the Timeline feature is now a package so this dependency needs to be fixed in a couple of other imported packages. In my tests I would need this callback which is only available starting from 2019.1 I believe:

https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.2/Doc....RenderPipelineManager-endFrameRendering.html

So I would be interested if someone knows already the necessary steps to migrate this project to 2019. Thanks.

keeponshading likes this.
  25. witson

witson

Hi! I am trying to transfer lens flares to the 2019 version of the Unity. But, unfortunately, the shader gives an error on the new version of HDRP. Is there any quick way to fix it and make the lens flares work?

Attached Files:

26. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi, I am sorry it is taking quite a long time to convert the project to 2019.1, many things require upgrading so it's normal to run into some issues.
    Namely :
    - post process has changed
    - volume API is no longer experimental
    - shaders require upgrade
    We plan to share a 2019.1 version of the project but it's not quite ready yet.

27. keeponshading

keeponshading

great. When you reached this. There will be silence.)

Attached Files:

28. laurent-h

laurent-h

nice visual target :)

29. laurent-h

laurent-h

ftejada and JamesArndt like this.
  30. PhilSA

PhilSA

Some issues I found (from a fresh clone of project):
    • All of the project settings are default (no HDRP set, no Linear color, etc...)
    • Character is trying to decollide from himself (theres a capsule inside the character controller)
    • All of the foliage is just gray (no texture)
    But I also gotta say there's a big visual improvement over last time I tried it. Much less blurry than before

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    JamesArndt likes this.
  31. laurent-h

laurent-h

Oh boy, thanks for reporting this issue. We’ll post an update when it’s fixed.

ftejada and JamesArndt like this.
  32. laurent-h

laurent-h

Looking at it quickly now it seems we are also tracking some settings files with git LFS. The project settings file is here https://github.com/Unity-Technologi.../master/ProjectSettings/ProjectSettings.asset
    The one called DynamicsManager in the same folder is the one that will fix your collision issues.

I'll keep investigating. In the meantime you can also try using the zip provided in the release description : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFrvytrpQFr1bkRsBJ-82uWWKBcMJYUK/view?usp=sharing

PhilSA likes this.
  33. PhilSA

PhilSA

I can't rule out the possibility that I did something wrong with my LFS pull. I did pull LFS, but only after opening the project a first time and realizing stuff was missing. Maybe LFS got mixed up at some point? Will try again soon, I think

EDIT: coworker just said their Project Settings are all fine. But they do also have the gray foliage problem

34. optimise

optimise

Hi @laurenth-unity, something wrong with the repo. There is error "This repository is over its data quota. Purchase more data packs to restore access" logged.

upload_2019-5-27_20-20-7.png

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  35. laurent-h

laurent-h

Thanks for reporting this I didn't notice. Sorry about that, I'll check what we can do.

optimise likes this.
  36. laurent-h

laurent-h

It looks like the grey foliage issue is a dependency issue we're having with shader graphs and sub graphs, it seems to go away after reimporting the "FoliageShading" sub graph.

37. optimise

optimise

Let me know when it's fixed.

38. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi, just a small update on this issue. I never managed to get the same error as you reported but I noticed that my psd files were missing on github even though we do track PSD files with LFS. I have now replaced them all (or most of them) with TGA files.
    I have cloned the repo on several computers and I didn't see any other missing files so far.

39. keeponshading

keeponshading

Thanks for updating. Shows the real beauty of the HDRP.
    Do you have an recommendation for an workflow to convert terrain back to an mesh.

I added some rivers and other playful things in old version and it would be cool by developing HDRP further to allow on mesh and terrain similar workflows as far as possible.

E.g. similar to RTP Asset. It allows mesh and terrain bassed shading with tesselation in highest quality settings.

In short. Boot, terrain and mesh grounds have individual benefits. Advanced HDRP support for both gives more freedom.

40. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hello,

would it be possible to get some instructions to create an additional lighting scenario in an non destructive way (don t touch day, sunset, night)

41. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi, I am sorry it took so long to answer but the answer is : it is not complicated, but there are many steps :D so it takes a bit of time to go through them all.
    - I'd recommend to start by duplicating one of the lighting scenes to start your own.
    - then in order to bake it you would have to add it to the LevelLightmapData in the DEMO_GR scene
    - then you need to trigger the bake from that component LevelLightmapData by pressing the "Build" button, then when it's finished you need to press the "Store" button
    - then you need to wire some UI to switch to that lighting scenario (you can check the menu that loads the first 3 ones to see how it's done)

There is a bit of documentation about the lightmap switching script here https://github.com/laurenth-unity/lightmap-switching-tool

Regarding terrain have you tried exporting it with the FBX exporter ? does it work with terrain ?

42. keeponshading

keeponshading

Thanks for the write up. I finally got it working after some mistakes and loosing my bakes.
    I reintegrated the old mesh based terrain again for testing.
    Added some stuff. Rebaked with other ibl.

Fontainebleau_SideQuest_ (1).JPG

I also started another bake in Bakery and one with parts of the scene in Cycles to show the differences and fed the Lit and Layered Lit with more physical correct baked input.
    Hope there is an easier replacement of custom lightmaps possible soon.

Also saving all lightmaps, light probes and reflection probes in an granite texture would be cool .A faster switch or even smooth interpolation by changeing the lighting scenario should be possible then.

However. Great learning journey.

Thanks for steady updating this and for making it most real PBR scene i know.
    I also descided to visit Fontainebleau Forest next month to see it myself.)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    laurent-h likes this.
  43. johnnytwentythree

johnnytwentythree

Hi I was wondering how I might approach upgrading this project to the latest version of HDRP

44. keeponshading

keeponshading

Hi. Thanks for updating Fontainebleau.
    Some great changes.
    In special the addition of the Gameplay ingredients like in the SpaceShip Demo.
    Very helpful.

Here some first Feedback from things who could be improved.

• It s not possible to startup on second monitor or different resolutions anymore
      There is only an default startup on monitor 0 possible.
    • There is no possibility to select quality settings anymore. OYou have to set one before build.
    • In cinematic mode the DOF foreground transition is an pretty hard line in most of the cameras.
      In general the quality of the near and far blur could be improved.

• DOF_line.jpg

• some of the rocks do not blend with the ground. This is heavily breaking immersion.

2019-11-30 16_58_12-Fontainebleau Photogrammetry Demo.jpg
    • by looking straight up in the sky there is an moving circular banding over the complete sky.

• question: why the the bloom is introducing an additional blur in areas where s no bloom?

• the menue logic and the need to go always back to the cinematic mode to switch lighting could be improved

• and a wish. It would be great when the old mesh terrain would be additionaly available.
      Could you bring it back to the project as prefab for people who prefer an non destructive workflow with DCC software like Blender, 3dsMax......
      The LayerdLit with mesh terrain was pretty forward in the first fontainebleau releases.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  45. keeponshading

keeponshading

To better visualize the current HDRP PPV3 DOF and Bloom limitations i tried to do some comparison shots from an similar environment with visualized Filter Level who shows off the smooth near transitions. (yellow/purple/green)
    Here BuiltIn RP with Yebis.

On last two shots I also an tried to compare Bloom vs non Bloom.
    Bloom ... additively blooms. It is not blurring so much and doesn not gives this milky pixel shifts..

DOF_FilterLevel05.JPG DOF_FilterLevel06.JPG DOF_FilterLevel07.JPG

DOF_FilterLevel03.JPG

DOF_FilterLevel04.JPG

Last.
    The size of the scene is around 8 times the size of Fontainebleau and adapts to an different lighting scenario in 28min with Bakery. An additional Fontainebleau Bakery setup till Unity Lightmapper becomes usable could be great too and speed up progressive development and usage of baking in HDRP.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  46. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi, thanks for your post.
    We have indeed uploaded the new version of the project for 2019.3 and HDRP 7.1.6
    The main changes can be read in the changelog
    - A lot of the scripting has been redone to be more modular and so you can easily change it or extract what is interesting for you.
    - Some of the scripts have been moved to packages so you can reuse them too outside of this project.

About your comments :
    - The resolution / monitor selection dialog has been removed from unity. We were still using it but it was deprecated since unity 2019.1. We will have to build a main menu similar to the one in the spaceship demo to allow you to choose the resolution and the quality level.
    - The depth of field in its current version has indeed some shortcomings. I believe the near blur transition is easier to handle in the manual mode than in the physical camera mode. Still we feel like it can give good looking results for a reasonable cost.
    - I would have to investigate the banding issue. It can probably be improved by increasing the precision of the render targets in the HD Render pipeline settings (at the cost of bandwidth and memory). We'll see if we can improve the situation by default.
    - The bloom in HDRP is not additive, it is somewhat like blending with a blurred version version of the image in HDR. Bright values will naturally produce more noticeable glow but dark tones will be modified as well. The way it softens the image is very useful for unifying the tones and it's also great for getting a lot of subtle gradients in the values so that you can increase the contrast afterwards while still keeping details everywhere (not clipping).
    - On the baking side, fontainebleau does not benefit yet from the work done on the GPU lightmapper because it does not fit into video memory. The team is working on memory management so that bigger scenes can be handled and benefit from the speed improvements the GPU lightmapper brings.
    - Sorry for the lack of polish on the menu and the assets integration in the ground. We'll try to improve these points.
    - Regarding the terrain it's very useful for us to be able to test Unity's terrain in this project. We removed the old mesh to make the demo as lightweight as possible but it's still not the smallest project so we decided to stick to the minimum. Maybe we could extract the old meshes and make them available somewhere as a unitypackage.

47. SuperNewbee

SuperNewbee

I tried the latest version. Got it working the first time.

ftejada and laurent-h like this.
  48. Jaklagratt

Jaklagratt

Thank you for the amazing update, much easier to use now :) Is not now possible with 2019.3 to use VR with HDRP ? If not, is there a way to navigate into the demo scene with a VR headset ?

49. laurent-h

laurent-h

Hi, while we have not done a specific navigation system for VR in fontainebleau it has been tested in VR and the rendering should work now.
    If you want to launch the project in VR I recommend to tweak the Game state machine and set its default state to FirstPerson instead of Menu.

50. marcelomg

marcelomg

Hi,
    I just downloaded the Fontainebleau project and am following the instructions. I pressed the 'Build' it shows Baking... [ETA: 5:32:36]. Does it take that long to bake the lighting for this project?