Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Photo-realistic" quality rendering between Unity and Unreal 4

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DigitalAdam, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Here you go,
    Both are zero roughness
    RoughBig.png

Edit :
    Had to shift the roughness a bit in unity to at least get the same looks

upload_2016-3-15_20-5-17.png

also no sure about the color differences

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    rainboww, janpec and tatoforever like this.
  2. neginfinity

neginfinity

Alright. Some screens.

Keep in mind that there is no baked light, and the whole scene was originally very carefully created to show off unity engine, so most of the objects do not cast shadows, lights are too dark, and blue tint is from sky light that is bleeding through non-shadow-casting level geometry.

7.jpg 6.jpg 5.jpg 4.jpg

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

Here's what happens if I shut down the skylight.
    3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

4. neginfinity

neginfinity

I'll try lightmap baking later and see if I can come up with better unity->ue4 lightmap brightness mapping. By default the scene is very dark and requires auto exposure to bring it up from below 1.0 brightness value.

The scene is from unity lab demo.

Missing shadows are a result of oringal geometry flags. For example, pillows do not cast shadows in original scene, and spot light above the couch (there's two of them) also isn't casting shadows, at all).

I gotta say in case of UE4, huge visual impact comes from reflective surfaces.

I'll also finish baking unity scene later. Had to wipe GiCache to free up some hdd space...

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

What the hell is up with the lighting in those screens? Talk about unflattering to the textures! :D Needs a bit o' messing aboot..

tatoforever likes this.
  6. neginfinity

neginfinity

The lighting is copied verbatim from unity scene. Ranges, angles, light positions, colors and all.
    The thing is, Ue4 uses physical model (lights are specified in lumens or something), and in Unity they're 1.0..10 values.
    Also, that's without any baked shadows.
    Also, there's skylight lighting up the scene, because none of the environmental meshes cast shadows. That's also original settings from the unity scene, copied verbatim.

Wanna know what that "two glowing columns near doors" look like in unity before lighting is baked?

Here:
    100.jpg

versus:
    7.jpg

I'll mess with it a bit more later, but not today.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ouch, I appreciate all the work you did.. Thanks for posting it, could you maybe zip the scene and stick it somewhere? I got to admit, all it shows at the moment is how not to do a scene in two engines.

8. neginfinity

neginfinity

I think I'll just PM you on that matter (I take it you'd be interested to see what you can do with it, right? In UE4) either later today or tomorrow. Need to take a break at the moment.

THe last thing I expected to do while fixing that level transfer tool was writing custom json serializer in C#.

Deleted User likes this.
  9. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I think this thread has been going on for a few years long enough.

hippocoder likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.