Search Unity

PhoboCross WIP

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by groovista, Feb 6, 2008.

1. groovista

groovista

OK, Yet Another Race Game :)

http://www.groovium.com/Unity/PhoboCross_WIP.html

Actually, right now this is my study room, while I figure out Unity, Cheetah3D and scripting all at once...I'm posting in other fora about the obvious glitches with the camera, rockets and general handling. It's not a game yet...meantime, I welcome feedback on my effort.

The physics potential was one of the first "wow" things about Unity that hit me (after the graphics!), and I thought about the old notion of riding around on a low-gravity moon using a rocket-powered motorcycle.

Thanks for the "Race Demo" example, whence the Car and Wheel scripts and a texture came from. podperson's and yoggy's tips and tutorials are reeeally useful. I was greatly aided by pete and his "Mountain Track" project:

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=2372

I couldn't get pete's "gravitysphere" script to work, so I squashed the model of Phobos into a pseudo-terrain. (Haven't yet grokked the Terrain Engine or joint rigging - the bike and the moon are pretty weird.) Once I get a better handle on gameplay and glitches, I'll rebuild them both.

2. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

There isn't much input to be given on this yet other than what is pretty obvious: Fix the camera, fix the rockets, fix the physics.

Low gravity rocket motorcycling sounds cool :)

If you need help with scripting check the docs, and if that doesn't work your welcome to post here or talk on the irc about it.

3. groovista

groovista

Yeah, I think the air mix in the spacesuit is off :)

Shall I move scripting questions over to my thread in Scripting, or is here cool?

4. forestjohnson

forestjohnson

if you have specific questions that are not answered after searching in the docs, they should probably be posted in scripting and not here.

5. Omar Rojo

Omar Rojo

ill test it at home ! :D

.org

6. groovista

groovista

Will do. I'll only post update notices and general feedback stuff here, then.

Over to you, Steve, in the Scripting booth... :)

7. groovista

groovista

Thanks to the kind advice of jeremyace, yoggy and ChromeFly, the rocket bike is a good deal more drivable now.

http://www.groovium.com/Unity/PhoboCross_WIP.html

(same URL)

Working on the camera shake and thrusters, then the bike itself will get a makeover.

8. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

Cool idea... had some difficulty trying to get the bike to go where i wanted though.

Also, I managed to launch the bike off the moon... happened while listening to Jonathan Coulton's version of Baby Got Back and flying towards mars on my rocket bike... it was all very poetic.

Thanks! :D