Search Unity

PGC Dungeon Help (WebPlayerBuild inside)

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Pysassin, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Pysassin

Pysassin

Hey all, I am currently making a dungeon crawler and thought I'd try out using PGC (procedurally generated content) dungeon and I am having a bit of an issue on some logic. The system I plan on using revolves around rooms,junctions,and connections(halls). The objects are classified as below:

Rooms(up to 4 connections): Connects to a connection(hall)
    Connections(halls)(2 total connections): Connects to a junction or room
    Junction(upto 4 connections): Connects to connections(hall)

My current issue is I am not sure how to approach the logic to stop connections from running over each other. I thought about checking the space the new tile is going to be place in but I found several times that you could tell 2-3 placements prior the collision is going to happen. How to get my code to see this is my current obstacle.

Could anyone offer up some advice?

Here is a webplayer link to the current project (has since been updated to reflect changes to code): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/142894708/Gen/Gen.html

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. Pysassin

Pysassin

I managed to get my junctions/connections to stop overlapping, and although I'm not entirely sure why some of my dungeon is allowed to create itself. I have solved the issue of overlap. To do so I check (using rigidbody.sweeptest) if I can place the desired object in the space allotted, if I can place it, if not find a different part. When placing junctions I also check to make sure something can be placed at the end of each junction, if it can't pick a different junction, if it still can't find a valid junction turn it into a dead end (connection with no exit connector).

I have updated the webplayer link in case anyone would like to test this out and offer up and advice.

3. Pysassin

Pysassin

Link is updated again to show progress made. For at least a simple single level dungeon gen I think its passable, but always nice to hear suggestions from others.