Search Unity

Pew Cubed, A Semi-Retro Shooter Game

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by BryceS, Sep 18, 2011.

1. BryceS

BryceS

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to share a video for a new game I've been working on for what seems like ages now.
    Heres the video(Excuse the poor capture quality... I couldn't get screen recording to work as good as I would've liked):

Currently the game is up for sponsor bidding on FlashGameLicense.com here (You need an FGL sponsor account or developer account with at least 1 approved game to view it). The game will be publicly available soon(There's no set release schedule for it yet, but I hope to have it out within 6 weeks), I'll update this post with a link once its released.

2. Ayrik

Ayrik

That looks great. Might I suggest adding more particle effects and explosions, that's kind of what these games are all about Image Effects would be great too, but I guess you probably don't have Pro. Gameplay looks good though, I hope you can find a sponsor.

3. arvzg

arvzg

Looks really cool so far!

Just to add my bit of criticism though, I feel like it's missing something visually that would make it supremely awesome. I think it's because everything looks really slow. That extends to the gameplay as well, the ship cannon's firing rate feels far too slow for me. It would be fine if you started slowly, but be able to pick up power ups or level up someway which makes the ship fire a lot faster.

I also feel that everything is too patternised. Even though the enemies are moving in different formations, after a while you probably will get pretty good at dodging them. I think you need a bit of random movements to the enemies. Probably in later levels to make the gameplay a bit harder!

I suggest looking at something like Geometry Wars or Infinity Field to see what I mean

here's a trailer for Infinity Field. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp6hus1jhLY

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  4. BryceS

BryceS

Thanks for the feedback both of you!

Ayrik: I actually do have Pro, and I'm using the bloom and flares image effect :). I totally agree that eyecandy is a really important part of games like this. I tried to not go too overboard with the visuals though because I wanted the game to be playable on lower-end machines as well as keep my options open for possibly making a mobile port some day.

Arvz: I get what you mean about things going slow... There are actually 5 other ships with more firepower you can unlock that aren't shown in the video, as well as a simple upgrade system. That video is blocked in my area, but I'm pretty sure I get what your saying about the ships moving in predictable patterns.

Again, thanks for the tips!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  5. kiranmaya

kiranmaya

congrates.
    graphics looks awesome.UI also looks pretty decent.