Search Unity

Pesky Humans!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SeriousTangents, Sep 7, 2014.

1. SeriousTangents

SeriousTangents

Pesky Humans is an arcade shooter style game, kind of like a reverse Space Invaders. It is both a 2.5D and 3D environment. In the Main Game, you do your best to drive off fleets of Human spaceships bent on colonizing your planet. In the Stage-Selection game, you can relax and blow up asteroids to mine power up crystals, used in the main game to hire Pirates to help you out.

The game project is nearing completion. The last few parts I need to iron out are some animation sequences that you can unlock as the game progresses, tweaking difficulty levels, and taking care of various bugs and improving performance. But because the core gameplay is finished, I've finally hosted it on the Steam Greenlight program. If I'm successful there, I plan to try other sites (like GoG.com and related) for additional venues.

The game itself was coded in C#, mostly from scratch. It took approximately 8-9 months of focused weeknights and weekends to complete. As my first 'serious' game attempt using the Unity platform, I'm really excited about how it turned out.

Below are some of the screen shots from the game itself, as well as the link for the Steam Greenlight program. I'd welcome a couple of up-votes from my fellow Unity developers. :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=310064721

I think one of my greatest challenges during this project, beyond learning how to use the Unity system in general, was learning how to code things using C# instead of Java, which is what I was used to. About four months in, it was clear I needed to go with C# for a number of reasons... I had to start the entire project over from scratch. Of course, I think the greatest challenge I face now, unfortunately, has nothing to do with code and everything to do with Marketing... something I freely admit I have never been particularly good at.

A shout out to Daniel Kole and Michael La Manna for their computer modeling and musical talents, respectively, and a definite thumbs up to Imphenzia for the space environments. I had not even planned on having a stage to mine asteroids until I got to puttering with their sample documents.

It's my hope to be Green Lit before Halloween... we'll see as we gather more Yes votes to make it there. :)

Joseph.